Part 60

A tapping noise greets Avery as she opens her eyes.

"Shh," she mumbles, rolling over.

As she rolls over, she rests her weight on her face.

A hiss leaves her lips, and she bolts upright, clapping a hand over the bandage covering her cheek.

"Wasn't that stupid," Hayden mutters, looking up from his cellphone.

"Why am I here?" She grumbles, and he sighs, pulling his legs off the arm of the chair he's slumped in.

"You fainted. I had to carry you all the way here, and you're a lot heavier than you look," he grunts, and Avery scowls at him.

"You could have left me there," she snaps, looking down at the hospital gown she's in.

"Who changed me?" She asks sharply, and he rolls his eyes at her.

"One of the nurses, they wouldn't let you wear filthy jeans to lay down on their clean beds," he sighs, settling back into the seat.

"Oh," she mutters, "why did I faint?"

Hayden sighs again, shaking his head at her.

"I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea. I pressed the call button when you started making noises, so one should arrive soon," he mutters, looking up from his phone for a second.

"Thank you," she sighs, sitting up and grasping the bed for her phone.

"Bedside table," he grunts, not even looking up from his phone.

"Oh," she repeats, quickly turning and picking it up.

She has some notifications, and she scowls as she quickly flicks through them.

"How's Lilith?" Avery asks, and Hayden opens his mouth and then closes it.

"What's wrong?" She quickly questions, sitting up on her knees and furrowing her brows.

"She had the baby," he murmurs, and she curses.

"Shit. Poor Lilith," she whispers, rubbing her forehead.

"He's alive," Hayden adds cautiously, raising an eyebrow.

"What?" Avery gapes at him, clapping a hand over her mouth.

"Yeah, the doctors don't know how, but he's hanging on," Hayden nods, equally as shocked.

The two sit in silence, Avery beyond shocked.

Pups born this early didn't survive, ever. She supposes the Alpha blood running through his veins probably helped with that, though, but it didn't make it any less shocking.

"Wow," she mutters, and Hayden nods in agreement, returning to his phone.

He's so focused on it that she feels slightly irritated.

"What are you doing?" She asks, leaning towards him as she sprawls across the bed.

"Texting," he simply responds, and Avery scowls.

She doesn't want to respond to any of her texts or emails, and she's too unfocused to read or do anything useful.

"Who?" She asks, trying not to pout.

"One of the guys who works for me," he sighs, glancing at her.

He's slightly surprised at how bored she looks - she looks half asleep, her palm resting against her cheek.

"Are you okay?" He asks, slightly wary of the way her face is drooping.

"I'm bored," she groans, rolling onto her back and splaying her arms out.