Chapter 39- Sophie

Biana said that even if I didn't want a Winnowing Gala, I would want one as soon as I saw the dresses she had picked out for me. 

I saw the dresses, and I did not suddenly have a mind flip and want a Winnowing Gala. In fact, seeing the dresses just suddenly made the whole thing seem a whole lot more real. I clutched the fabric of the formal one to my chest and slid down onto the bench in the changing room. 

My mind felt like it was swirling. What was I supposed to do at the Gala? I didn't even know how to dance for gods sake. How was I supposed to balance in heels? Was I supposed to dance with every single person that came? What if nobody came to my Gala? What if too many people came? 

I heard a soft knock on the door and I opened it. Biana's chocolate brown hair swung through the door opening and she stared down at my normal beige tunic and black pants. 

"That's not what I picked out for you," she said, hands on her hips, head tilted slightly. She stared at my face for a while, then her eyes drifted down to the floor where she saw small eyelash hairs all over the ground. 

Biana sighed and sat down on the bench besides me. "What's wrong Sophie?" 

How did she always know? Biana knew me so well. I sighed. "I don't know about this Winnowing Gala stuff. I never liked it, and now I'm really stressed over it. What if bad things happen? What if I ruin my friendships during it? What if-" 

Biana sighed and put a hand on my shoulder. "Listen Soph, nothing bad is going to happen! You will find a great match for you during this, and thousands, no millions of elves have done this and nothing extremely bad ever happens! You'll be fine!" 

"Well, I'm the only elf with brown eyes and I'm a freak-" 

"You are NOT a freak Sophie, you are amazing and powerful and wicked smart, just with a little bit of difference from the rest of us. That makes you special, not a freak," Biana said firmly. "Now, go try on your dresses, because the rest of us are waiting!" 

Biana shoved me gently toward the door of the changing room, hung the two red dresses back on the rack after she desperately smoothed them out from all of my wringing and shut the door behind her. I waited for a moment and a pair of heels slid under the door. 

There was a hastily scribbled note on it, but I could tell it was Biana's handwriting because it managed to still look elegant. 

Already paid for them, they're yours now. I expect you to wear them!  No, they aren't that tall Sophie stop worrying, they're only 3 inches, and besides, they go great with your dress! 

I glanced down at the heels and sighed before slipping on my formal dress. It was supposed to be skin tight, but thankfully Biana, knowing that I hate skin tight dresses had bought it a size bigger for me. There were pearls around the neckline and around the waist, and the hem of the gown swept the floor in an elegant way that I would probably ruin with my clumsiness.