Chapter : Ten Protective Much?

Chapter : 10    

"Stop scaring me Kajal." I told her over the phone.

"What do you mean I'm scaring you? YOU WENT ON A DATE WITH AYUSHMANN AND IT'S FREAKING CRAZY A NEWS!!!" Kajal went back to crazy-yelling-mode. I winced and pulled the phone a bit away from my ear to prevent her shrill voice from making me go deaf.

"It WASN'T a date." I tried again.

"Uh-huh. You two went to a café, drank coffee, talked about personal lives. People don't do that stuff on a date at all." Kajal said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

I rolled my eyes at her. But then, I stilled for a moment. How does she know that we went to a café? I hadn't reached that part of the story yet.

"How do you know we went to a cafe?" I asked, already anticipating the answer.

"Duh gurl, everything's on the internet and news channels. You know already how the websites are a sucker of celeb gossips." Kajal told me casually.

My eyes widened at that statement.

 "Listen, I'll call you back later." I told my best friend and disconnected.

Taking a deep breath, I climbed out of my bed and dragged my feet out of the bedroom. Walking into the living room, I saw what I had anticipated. Mom, Dad and my brother were watching TV and the channel was displaying the pictures of me and AK walking out of the café, hand in hand.

All three pairs of eyes turned to look at me when I stood in the centre of the room, facing them.

"Did he do or say anything?" Dad asked, his voice sounding protective.

"How was the date?" Mom asked, dreamy eyed.

"I didn't mean to tell him where you were," Aarav started his explanation.

"GUYS!" I shouted over all the voices and it silenced them all.

Sighing, I settled down on the beanbag with my hands on my face. A part of me was overjoyed about the fact that all of this had happened and the other part was worried sick about how to tackle my parents.

"I thought you went to the temple," Mom said, her voice holding a mischievous glint.

"I did!" I said.

"Did he force you to come with him then?" Dad asked, his voice serious.

Oh God.

"He's invited me to work on a music project." I said.

There was a moment's silence after which the room was filled with overjoyed cries and curses. I smiled as mom and Aarav jumped with happiness. They knew I wrote poems and lyrics but had never read any of my works. Only now have they realized that I'm good at it, I guess. I noticed that Dad hadn't smiled or reacted yet. Something seemed to be bothering him.

I looked down at my phone which buzzed. It was a text from him.

AK: Did u decide yet?

"No need to collaborate." Dad's heavy voice made the atmosphere turn thick.

"What?" I asked after a moment with a confused smile on my lips, unsure if I heard him right.

"It's a no from me. You should concentrate on your degree rather than getting exposure in the music industry. I've seen many lives getting destroyed in there. You better stay away from all this." He said.

"But dad, it's Ayushmann-" Aarav was saying.

"Don't you think I know who the guy is? These celebrities aren't good influence at all." Dad said and got out of the sofa and walked into his room.

There was dead silence in the room and the light atmosphere had turned thick with tension after Dad left. Mom and Aarav looked at each other and then at me as if out of words. I gave a small smile to gesture that I was okay. I don't want them to worry.

 "I'll be in my room," I mumbled and walked out of the living room, back to the solitude of my bedroom. Closing the door behind me, I walked over to the window and looked out at the evening sky, trying to blink back the tears. But I'm never good with handling emotions, within moments my vision turned into a blurry mess while I sobbed occasionally with tears streaming down my cheeks.

I know that Dad is just doing his job – to look after me and protect me. It's not his fault at all.

My phone buzzed and I noticed that it was Ayushmann calling. I sighed and rejected the call with a heavy heart. Switching my phone off, I settled down on the study chair as I gazed out at the birds retreating home.

About fifteen minutes had passed away by now when I heard the doorbell ring. I didn't bother answering the door since there were already three human beings at home. I could hear the front door being opened and then muffled voices reached me through the closed bedroom door. I heard my bedroom door click open and someone walked in.

Turning around, I faced Aarav who had a small smile playing on his lips. I frowned at him through my tear glazed eyes as if to ask what it was.

"AK is here." Aarav said "He called me and...well, I told him what happened."

My eyes widened and I fumbled out of my seat and dashed out of the bedroom with my twin following up. Reaching the living room, I stopped on my tracks as my eyes fell on him. He was sitting on one of the single sofas, facing my Dad who had an angry expression on his face. It seemed like Dad wasn't too happy seeing Ayushmann in here.

It all still felt so unreal.

My doubts vanished when AK looked up at me, meeting my eyes with his brown eyes. He gave a small smile and a head nod to acknowledge me. Soon enough he furrowed his brows, his smile faltering away as he took notice of my tear stained face. I looked away and rubbed the tears off roughly.

Author's Note:- 

Hola! 

So AK does know how to jump in to the rescue ;)

Will meet on the next update!