Chapter : Eleven Lame Jokes

Chapter : 11

"Wow, you get a pretty great view from up here." Ayushmann said as he looked at the night sky.

I simply nodded.

"I bet you come here very often." He said and grinned at me.

I noticed how gorgeous his smile was. Even though I had seen that smile a million times before on a TV screen, witnessing it in real life, so close, made a weird feeling grow inside. I quickly averted my eyes from his face and looked out at the Mumbai cityscape to save myself from blushing.

We were at the high terrace of my complex and it was about 9:00 pm. AK and I were perched on the water tank over the terrace and it was an isolated place at this hour. I hadn't planned on sitting over the giant water tank but when he climbed it up and gestured for me to follow, I finally gave up and settled down beside him on the tank.

"I guess all that crying made your face glow." AK said as he glanced at me once with a smile.

I simply gave a nod and yet couldn't muster enough courage to look into his eyes.

I dove back to reimagining the entire conversation that happened about an hour ago down in the living room of my apartment.

"Sir, you don't know what potential your daughter has." AK said looking at Dad.

"I'm her father. You need not tell me what she can do." Dad replied with a stern face.

"I know. The thing is that you're not ready to accept that Tanya has a golden opportunity in front of her." Ayushmann said.

"If she ends up writing songs, who'll study for the degree? What'll happen to her aim of becoming a Biologist?" Dad asked.

"See, that's where you're not getting my point." AK said.

"Have some tea, son." Mom said as she put the tray of snacks and tea on the coffee table in front of AK. He took the cup with a smile and sipped at it.

I couldn't believe that Mom called AK 'son'. UGH, EMBARRASING PARENTS.

"What do you mean?" Dad asked AK.

"What I mean is that Tanya can keep continuing her education. Nobody's stopping her. The only thing I'm asking from her is to help me and my team in the project because I don't think there's anybody more talented in my opinion." Ayushmann said.

He then turned to look at me and passed me a warm smile while I looked at him with a blank expression.

Dad sighed and slouched back on his seat with his arms crossed on his chest.

"So?" AK asked after a moment's silence.

"Fine. But it better not mess with her grades." Dad said.

It took me a moment to register the green flag which he waved after which I grinned and jumped at my father, hugging him hard in my arms. All this while, Ayushmann looked at me with a small smile.

"Wanna hear a joke?" Ayushmann asked me, bringing me out of my thoughts.

When I didn't reply, he started nonetheless.

"Can a Kangaroo jump higher than the Empire State Building?" He asked me.

The question itself made me furrow my brows at him with a confused smile.

"You tell me," I said.

"Of course it can, because the Empire State Building can't jump. It's a building!" AK said.

Even though it was the lamest thing I had ever heard, it made me laugh out loud. He too joined me in the laughing fest and within no time we both were laughing like two crazy people. Our laughs slowly faded as we both felt at a need to breath. Taking a breath, I looked ahead at the street lights mapping the entire cityscape.

Ayushmann slowly started humming a tune of one of his songs, Yahin Hu Main (I'm right here) while I swayed my head along the rhythm. The calm night seemed so peaceful and gave me the much needed silence.

Author's Note:-

AK did handle the situation well, didn't he?

Have you ever heard a lame joke and yet ended up laughing? That's because you like that person. It's a psychological fact!

Stay happy and healthy.