Chapter : Twenty Two Tickles

Chapter : 22  

"Tu Nazm nazm sa mere,
Hoto pe theher ja.
Main khwaab khwaab sa teri,
Akhon mein jhakoo re..."

(Persist over my lips,
The way the verses of poetry do.
I'll peek a look into your eyes,
The way your dreams do.)

Ayushmann went on singing with a smile on his face while I waited with the spoon in my hand. He's really fussy when it comes to eating, I had discovered. His melodious voice filled up the silent hospital ward room.

"No wonder he refuses to eat," I mumbled looking at Apar who sat on an adjacent seat near the door of the ward.

Apar didn't bother to answer my remark as he continued to type on his laptop. He was busy sending emails to different directors who had planned on meeting AK within this week. It's been three days and Ayushmann hasn't been discharged yet for reasons considering the media which has been making crazy headlines on their websites and channels regarding AK's sudden disappearance.

I and Kajal came to pay him a visit today to check up on him. His bruises had healed to a great extent and that bluish-black spot on his forehead had turned lighter than before. His face, though a little pale, had brightened when I walked in. I guess he's just happy to see an outsider visit him apart from his brother in the past three days.

"You didn't like the song?" Ayushmann asked me, feigning some hurt on his face.

"I- I didn't say t-that..." I fumbled with my words as he looked into my eyes with his mesmerising brown orbs.

"Aw," Kajal's voice made us both turn and look at her. She sat beside Apar and had her hands clasped in front of her face and an admiring smile plastered on her lips. I glared at my bestie and she stopped making that face and went back to checking her social media profile.

"You didn't answer-" AK was saying when I pushed the spoon into his mouth without a warning.

He looked far beyond surprised with dilated pupils as he gulped the bland hospital breakfast with a grimace that made me wanna pity him. Apar laughed and clapped, appreciating my move all the while.

"Even Apar cooks better than this," Ayushmann complained as he stuck his tongue out to gesture how awful the taste was.

"Hey! I can win Masterchef India if I wanted, okay?" Apar countered.

I frowned at AK's words. Taking another spoonful, I tasted the food to see whether he was serious about the taste. They wouldn't serve awful breakfast to a star like AK, right? I was wrong.

"Ugh, I guess it needs a bit more salt." I remarked and raised my eyes to find Ayushmann looking at me with a still face and amusement glinting in his brown eyes. It looked like he had witnessed a miracle happen. I didn't quite get his expression.

I turned to look at Kajal and she too had a similar expression as she looked at me. Apar meanwhile was back to attending his laptop. Why are they acting like something happened?

"Y-You tasted the food with the same spoon." Kajal pointed, about to turn hysterical.

My eyes widened. Usually people tend to drink from the same straw or use the same spoon to eat when they are really close. I did it. Damn it Tanya! Turning away from AK, I blushed crimson. He poked my arm with his finger, demanding my attention. I felt my face heat up in embarrassment as I slowly turned to face his tall figure which was seated on the hospital bed. I somehow couldn't meet his eyes and kept looking down at the plate in my hands instead of his face with pressed lips.

AK continued poking my arm lightly until I looked up at him. He didn't have any mocking expression or words to tease me. Instead, he had a soft expression dawning over his face as he looked at me with a small smile. He silently gestured towards the plate. I wondered if I should bring a new spoon instead for I had already tasted the food with this one.