Runaway Heart

Requested by Peacelover2021

Inspired by the short film, In a Heartbeat.

Basically, when you hopelessly fall for someone, your heart leaps out and chases after the person you fall for.

*Peter's POV*

I was hopelessly in love with him.

I was in love with his hair, a sandy color that reminds me of the beach. I was in love with his eyes, which swirl like the storm of a thousand oceans. I was in love with his personality, a sarcastic front that hides an everlasting kindness.

He was my universe. He was my sun. Everything I did revolves around him. He was like fuel and I was the fire. Because he fueled me. But he could never know. He could never know how deep in was in.

I was in love with Harley Keener.

§

I was in the lab with Mr. Stark when I first met Harley.

"Peter, I want you to meet Harley Keener."

Looking at him was like breathing in oxygen. You just needed to do it.

He was addicting. He was the drug and I was the addict.

And I had no intention of quitting.

§

I was watching a movie when Harley walked in.

"Hey darlin," he drawled.

I could feel my heart skip a beat and then continue at a thousand miles per hour.

"Hey, Harls," I replied shakily.

He sat down next to me.

"Whatcha watching?" he asked.

"Star Wars," I replied awkwardly.

We sat in silence for a bit, watching the movie.

The thing about silence is that it suffocates you. It covers you in a thick sheet till someone is courageous enough to break through. But no one did, so there we were, drowning in an eternal silence.

§

Eventually, the silence must have gotten to be too much.

"Okay, well, I'll see you later sweetheart," he said, getting up, walking out of the room.

My heart sped up until it leapt out of my chest.

Literally.

It was a little heart with eyes and limbs. I stared at it questioningly and then it chased after Harley.

No, this can't be happening.

He wouldn't like me back.

He probably isn't even gay.

What if he hates me?

Suddenly, I realized I would have to get my heart back.

§

"FRIDAY, where is Harley?"

"It seems that Mr. Keener is headed towards the kitchen," the AI replied.

I ran through the tower, making my way to the kitchen.

Finally, I caught sight of my heart, but it was right behind Harley.

I chased after it while it dodged left and right. I eventually managed to catch it, but it was right in front of Harley.

Before he could say anything, I took my heart and ran into the nearest supply closet.

He looked around for a bit, but seemingly giving up, he continued towards the kitchen.

After five minutes in the closet, I decided it was time to come out.

But when I walked out, my heart escaped.

Panicking, I ran after it.

By the time I had gotten to it, it had grabbed hold of Harley's hand. I grabbed its other hand and pulled. I pulled and pulled, tears clouding my vision.

Then, it broke apart.

§

Tears streaming down my face, I ran away to the roof.

I went up and sat against the wall, facing the view of the city.

I sat in silence, drowning in my own thoughts.

Why can't I get rid of him. Why do I love him so much. He's my everything, yet to him, I'm nothing.

Nothing.

§

I was pulled out of my thoughts my someone else sitting next to me.

I looked over and it was him.

Harley Fucking Keener

I turned beet red and looked at him. He reached towards my hands where I held half of my heart. I flinched away at first, but I let him open my hands.

"I love you, Peter," he said, looking at me. "I will always be here. I'll be here to fix you when your broken, to pick you up when you're down, and to comfort you when you need it. Because I am hopelessly in love with you. You're all I ever think of. You are my addiction, and I don't wanna stop. You are all I ever need or want."

He looked away, his breath hitching.

I stared in shock before taking his face in my hands.

"I love you, Harley Keener."

And I kissed him. I sank in, drowning. But this time, I didn't want to be saved. Because Harley is my ocean, my anchor. He is my love. And that's all I need.

And it was all thanks to a runaway heart.

Stay safe <3