Maybe You'll Be My Always

*Peter's POV*

"Hey, Harls," I said, plopping down on the couch next to him. "How was your day?"

"Mhmmm, good," he replied hoarsely.

"Are you sure, babe? You seem off..."

"I said I'm fine!" he snapped.

"Hey," I whispered. "What's really up?"

But he just sat there saying nothing.

"Okay..."

§

"Hey, babe! I'm home!"

Harley looked up from his place on the couch. The past month, he has been irritable and anxious, making me worry,

"What do you mean? You were just here..."

I looked at him, concerned. "No, Harls...I've been at work for the past eight hours."

"Ha, that's a funny joke," he said sarcastically.

I just frowned, wondering what happened.

§

"Harley, I think we need to take you to the doctor."

"Why? If I have anything, I'll just die anyways."

"See? This is what I mean. One moment you were fine, but then it was like your brain was replaced. You've been pissed and upset and I'm worried, Harls! I love you so much and I can't let anything happen to you...do you understand?"

"Yeah, okay..." he relented.

§

We were waiting in the room when the doctor walked in, looking grim.

"Well? Something's wrong. What is it?" Harley asked, upset.

I put my hand on his arm to calm him down while the doctor double checked his files.

"According to our tests, you have been diagnosed with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. It's a brain disease that unfortunately only leaves you with maybe eight months left. In this time, you may experience symptoms such as personality changes, anxiety, depression, and memory loss. Of course, there are some support groups I can..."

Harls? My Harls? No...I can't lose him too. I can't. He's done nothing, yet the Parker luck struck again. But why?

§

We were watching TV in the living room a month later when I looked over at him.

"Harls, I love you so much, okay? Just know that I'm sticking with you through this. I will never leave your side..."

He sat there for a moment, saying nothing. Losing hope, I looked away. But then I felt him grab my hand and give a slight squeeze. I glanced over and saw him with a slight smile.

"I love you too..."

§

Soon, Harley was hospitalized after a brief episode where he destroyed half of the dishware in our house.

"Hey, Harls," I greeted, walking into the room. "I brought you a coffee."

"Who are you."

My chest stung at this. I knew he would have brief memory loss, but I'm not sure if I was really ready. Nevertheless, I held back tears and powered through.

"It's me, babe, Peter. We live together, we're engaged, remember?"

"You're lying, I don't have a fiancé. What do you want?" he said, frantically.

"Nothing, babe-"

"No! Please don't hurt me! Someone help!" he screamed, attracted several nurses into the room where Harley was thrashing around.

I sobbed as a nurse escorted out of the room.

"Considering the situation, they are gonna have to put him under. But, with his condition, there's a chance he may not wake up. This was always a risk, but we've got to be ready, okay?"

I nodded, tears still streaming down my face.

§

"Hey, Harls...I've missed you so much. You know I love you, right? I don't know...considering the situation we're in, I don't want you to forget that. When you were still diagnosed, I hoped you would power through, you know. I hoped that, just maybe, maybe you would be my always. It was silly, though. I'm glad you're not suffering anymore. They said it was painless, just like slipping through. Maybe I'll believe them, I'm not sure though. Anyways, happy birthday, my love."

I stood up from where I was crouched and placed a lone flower on his grave.

Maybe you'll still be my always...

Ahhh, sorry it's kinda crappy.

Stay safe <3