Gentleman in Distress

*Harley's POV*

The thing about love, is that you never know when it's coming. You may be unsuspecting, until it creeps up on you and engulfs you. Suddenly, you're drowning in this new, profound feeling. One that fills you with warmth and joy. But also, hurt and longing. And there is no way out. You're stuck in this large ocean and you're being taken under. And when you run out of breath, you're glad. Because love, love is just a wonderful thing to experience. Unless it is impossible to be reciprocated. Which tends to be heartbreaking, but I suck it up anyway. Of course, you have no idea who I'm talking about, so I'll just have to tell you.

§

October 17, 2018

I was walking home, scrolling through Instagram, when I heard a loud noise in the alleyway next to me. I looked down, seeing nothing but darkness. So of course, I just had to investigate.

I slowly creeped down the alley, my guards up. Right before I reached the end, someone grabbed me and covered my mouth, muffling my screams.

"Be quiet, or I'll shoot," a deep voice whispered behind me, sending chills up my spine.

"Now," he said, turning me around. "Give me everything you've got." I was able to get a good look at him in the dim light of the street lamps, and let me say...he definitely wasn't what I expected.

He was maybe about 5' 7", dressed all in black. He had on a dark purple cloak. A cloak. Even better, he had on a ski mask with cat ears. And before I could contain myself, I burst out laughing.

"I'm not that sorry, but you look like an off brand Batman," I squeaked out between laughs.

The mugger just looked me straight in the eyes in disbelief. He took a gun and dug it into my temple. "I'm mugging you, and you dare say this. Looks like I'll be taking your possessions off of your dead body."

I froze, realizing I just fucked up. But, right in time, the mugger was suddenly gone, leaving only his gun behind.

I looked around and found him on the brick wall of the alley, attached by spider webs.

Wait, spider webs?

Sure enough, when I looked behind me, I saw the infamous arachnid superhero was right there.

"Why, darlin, I believe that you just saved my life," I drawled out, making the spider freeze up a bit.

"I-uh, thank you? Wait shit, no...you're welcome! And you can call me Peter," he stumbled out.

"Well, okay, Peter. Thank you for saving me from generic Batman. I won't keep you long, though, because I'm sure there are other people in distress that need a cute bug to save them from creeps."

He let out a laugh, a melodious sound that melted my insides, and gave me a mock salute. "I guess I might need to head out then. Now try not to get yourself into trouble again, or I may have to save you."

Before I could even wave goodbye, he was off in a flash of red and blue.

§

And yet, I can't say that was the last time...

§

February 4, 2019

Well...I wish I could say that I wasn't just kidnapped, but yet, here we are.

I was tied up to a chair in the middle of what seemed to be an abandoned warehouse. The walls were cracking concrete, teeming with ants moving in and out. The ceilings were dripping and I could feel the rats moving from beneath my feet.