Nothing lasts forever

Lottie and Ellie stayed with Jamie the next few days, not because he was sad, but because he needed to know this didn't mean anything about who he is. "Jamie, blood relations don't have anything against actual relationships ok? No ones going to think your bad because he's your father, I am so sorry he did this to you but that doesn't mean you would do it ok?" Ellie said, sitting across from Jamie and Lottie in the living room. Lottie nodded "exactly, no one needs to know either, you are so strong, your father was weak and ran away but you won't hide from this, I know you" Lottie added, looking at Jamie's side profile. "I'm just mad" Jamie said, "I'm mad that now is the time I find out". "I'm mad for you" Ellie laughed. Lottie smiled "grrr" she said through gritted teeth. "You guys are weird" Jamie laughed, squeezing Lottie tightly against him. 

*

The next morning Lottie crept down to the kitchens early, making sure not to wake up anyone. Before she had gone to sleep she had planned she was going to make Ellie's birthday cake, ready for her birthday the following day. 

As she readied the ingredients for the third layer of the cake, the palace cook entered, holding a basket of clean tea towels. "Smells good in here, what you making?" The cook asked as Lottie blotted her forehead with the bottom of her apron. "It's Ellie's birthday tomorrow, I'm making her a cake" Lottie replied, throwing some flour into a bowl. "A layered cake? Fancy" the cook added, peering in at the two layers already cooking in the oven. "Sorry if I'm in the way" Lottie sighed, looking apologetic. "No not at all dear, just putting away these tea towels that have been washed" the cook said, opening up a cupboard full of crisp, cream towels with a golden rim. Lottie scanned her eyes over the blotchy, cake batter covered recipe, before measuring out some vanilla extract.  

Just as Lottie shoved the last layer in the oven, Jamie entered , rasing his eyebrows at the mess Lottie had made. She turned around, suddenly jumping before letting out a laugh "almost had a heart attack" she laughed, clutching her hand to her heart. Jamie chuckled, making his way over to were Lottie was working. "What the hell are you doing?"he asked, scanning his eyes over the floured table, dirty bowls and spoons and empty egg shells. "Ellie's birthday cake, except, I'm bad at baking" Lottie sighed, biting her lip as she looked at Jamie. "Smells nice" Jamie shrugged, turning around to look at what was in the oven. Lottie turned her back on Jamie, looking down at the icing recipe before letting out a groan, there was still so much more to do.

Jamie smiled, wrapping his arms around the back of her neck as she dusted her floury hands on her apron. "Let's hope tomorrow can be the one day where everything goes as planned" Lottie smiles, holding her arms up to hold Jamie's arms , his head leaning on her shoulder. "Let's hope" he replies.

The cake turned out to be a white, three layered cake with swirly writing spelling out 'happy birthday Ellie' with roses piped on. Lottie and Jamie rolled out different coloured fondants, each  attempting to make a wolf head. "Mine looks like a cow that's just run into a window" Lottie laughed, holding her model up infringe of her. "Mine looks like Ellie" Jamie said, "terrifying" Lottie added, quickly leading into them both laughing. "Ellie's coming" the cook hurried, quickly grabbing the cake stand and running it off to the pantry. "Shoot" Lottie said, looking around at the mess, "she's going to think something strange is going on". Jamie raised his eyebrows, fiddling with his wolf's left ear "well she wouldn't be wrong" he muttered. Lottie scoffed before quickly peeling off her apron and dumping it in the laundry basket. "Hide the wolves in the pantry, and know that the cook was just baking the king an apple pie" Lottie said, quickly picking up her wolf head and running off with Jamie to the pantry. 

"Perfect" Lottie laughed, looking at the lopsided, two headed, wolf cake creation. "She'll love it" Jamie assured her, turning around at the sound of Ellie coming close. Lottie notices as well and runs to open the door, Jamie quickly following. Ellie stands face to face with them, still half asleep. Lottie quickly shuts the door behind them, blocking Ellie's way. "Guys, I what some breakfast" Ellie moaned, trying to get past them, "hey, what are you hiding?". Lottie franticly tried to cover the door handle "nothing, well actually something but we-" she started before Jamie cut in, noticing she was going to give it away, "a maids cleaning in there and doesn't want anyone going in till tomorrow, very strong bleach". Lottie nodded, flashing him a grateful smile. "Oh, ok, but I'm starving" Ellie grumbled, trudging away from the pantry. "Don't worry dear, got some food ready for you out here" the cook called from the table, placing out a plate. "Thank heavens above" Ellie muttered before trueing away. "That was close" Lottie laughed, leaning against the door. "Don't know why I said bleach" Jamie said. "It was brilliant" Lottie laughed.