s.w//long time no see

A/N: based off of the season 2 car crash, some details are different :)

"We got a male crash victim! Severe intrusion on the driver's side, BP 100 over 50, pulse is thready. Resuscitated in the field, one milligram of epi given! Multiple fractures and suspected internal bleeding!" A paramedic shouts, running a patient on a stretcher into the ER.

"Take him to OR one and page ortho!" You shout at the nurses around you and they rush him away. 

You quickly look at the chart that one of the medics gave you and your eyes go wide.

Name: Sam Winchester

Age: 28

Accident with a semi, t-bone on driver's side, found unconscious in car with one other victim, cardiac arrest in field, resuscitated and given 1 mg of epi. Multiple fractures identified, multiple contusions on the body, and internal bleeding is suspected. 

You try not to lose your cool as you give the triage nurses his chart and rush to the OR. There are so many thoughts racing through your head that you can barely think but you know one thing for sure. You're going to save Sam's life. You quickly scrub up and get into the OR, starting your work. After 5 hours, Sam's fractures are set, his internal bleeding stopped, and he's stable in the ICU. You pull your hair out of the bun you haphazardly threw it in, sit down in the break room with your head in your hands, and start to cry. You've never had to work on someone that you knew before and Sam was the last person you were expecting it to be. You and Sam went to Stanford together, Sam studying law and you studying medicine. You instantly clicked and he was your best friend and that quickly became more than friends. You loved him more than anyone and when he suddenly left, leaving you just a note to tell you he was leaving with his brother, he loved you, and he was sorry. It broke your heart. You thought that you would never love again and you haven't, always wondering where he was. 

"Y/N are you alright?" One of your best friends who's one of your OR nurses says, walking into the break room. 

"Oh yeah sorry." You say, quickly wiping your tears and trying to compose yourself. 

She sits down next to you. 

"You've been crying. What's going on?" She asks. 

"That man we just worked on. I know him. He is--he was my college boyfriend." You say sadly.

"Oh honey. What happened?" She asks. 

"He up and left me. He left a note and I haven't heard from him since. I truly thought that he was dead. I never thought in a million years that this would have been the next time I saw him." You say, getting emotional again. 

"You saved him Y/N. You should go sit with him and be there when he wakes up. It sounds like you need to talk." She says.

"But what if he doesn't wake up? His injuries are horrible. You saw them." You say, tears falling down your cheeks. 

"Sit with him Y/N. Just sit with him." She says, squeezing your hand and walking out. 

You think about her words and you compose yourself, heading to Sam's room. You walk in and try to hold yourself together when you see him looking so small in the bed, attached to so many machines, arm and leg casted, and wrapping almost everywhere but his face. You pull over a chair next to his bed and sit down.

"Hey Sammy. It's been a while," You say, trying to hold back your emotions, "God, six years?" 

You feel so alone and afraid, wishing he would just wake up and tell you that he was okay. 

"I've been so worried about you Moose," You say, using your nickname for him, "I've had no idea where you were. I was so scared."

You feel the tears building in your eyes and you try your best to force them down. 

"I've missed you so much. I can't lose you. Please fight for me, for your brother. Please." You say, taking one of his cold hands in yours. 

For the next several weeks, you sit by Sam's side, not only as his doctor but as his friend. You're there in between your surgeries and consultations with other patients. Any spare moment you have in your life goes to Sam. He's shown small signs of improvement but not enough to get excited about. Dean came and visited you after he was checked out and cleared, glad to see you again. You decide to not ask him about where he and Sam have been, wanting to keep all of your focus on Sam and his recovery. One day while checking Sam's chart and his vitals, you hear something, but it's barely audible. You realize it's Sam. 

"Y/N?" Sam calls weakly. 

"Sam?" You whisper, quickly rushing to his side.

"What are you doing here? Where am I?" He asks, trying to sit up. 

"No Sam you're going to hurt yourself. Lie down and I'll explain." You say, gently pushing him back down. 

You sit with him and explain everything, trying to keep your emotions in check. 

"Where's Dean? Is he--" He says, getting worked up. 

"He's perfectly fine Sam. He had some broken ribs and some cuts but he's perfectly fine. He's been visiting you." You say. 

"Good. Good." He says. 

"How are you feeling? Pain alright?" You say.

"Yeah. I'm just so glad to see you." He says, grabbing your hand and squeezing it.

"Sam..." You say, blush creeping to your cheeks. 

"I need to apologize. I've been meaning to come find you but--" He starts but you cut him off. 

"Sam it's okay. It was a long time ago." You say, lying through your teeth.

"It's not okay. I shouldn't have left without an explanation, you deserve better than that. My brother needed me and I left you, alone. I love you Y/N and what I did was wrong. Please...forgive me." He says, his blue eyes staring into yours. 

You're at a complete loss for words. All you've wanted for these past six years is to just hear his voice and here he is, alive. 

"Sam, I don't know what to say." You say, tears filling your eyes. 

"Then don't say anything." He says quietly, his hand going to the back of your neck, gently pulling you to him. 

Your lips softly touch his, the familiar feeling you missed so much makes your skin light up. Tears of happiness are flowing down your cheeks, dripping onto Sam's face.

"Are you okay?" Sam whispers, his lips just centimeters from yours.

"Yes. I'm so much more than okay." You say, pressing your lips back to his. 

For the first time in six years, everything feels right.