12|Lair, Liar

|third person pov|

2 Years Later..| Monterey, California-

"I fancy you want the rest?" He held the nearly empty bottle off to his side, and his hand dropped back to his side when he felt it be taken from his hand. He could see his breath as he exhaled over the ledge, and his eyes watched the straggling boats in the water.

Nora finished the remaining liquid in the bottle, and tossed it over the bridge when she was done. She always seemed to find herself at a bridge of some sorts, and thought that it probably some kind of sign. Stepping away from the bridge, she walked over to the road and her body laid flat on the pavement. After a few seconds, Klaus whisked over and was on the floor next to her in a second, on their back, facing the sky. It was deep in the night, the time where everything feels asleep.

This was how it went for the past two years, continuing what they did in Chicago to every city that they came across. Though they went to Paris, Texas before coming to Monterey. They avoided staying in one place for too long, risking that what happened in Chicago would reoccur. For a second it was almost as if things went back to normal between them, besides the romance. They had the occasional drunk kiss every once in a while, but who really even remembers those?

Klaus liked seeing Nora be her own person, almost a version of him from the past, and old memory. She let him live in an old memory. But when he found out that Marcel knew that him and Elijah were awake, he knew that the party must come to an end. He still loved her, in fact so much that he was finding it hard to party with her anymore. Whenever he looked into her eyes, it was almost as if her were staring at just the shell of her, and her soul was gone. He didn't see the love that she once had for him, but he still had it, and it ate him alive, day by day. 

She'd kiss other guys, and he could only watch, before killing them once the night was through. The party became less about fun, and more about drowning out feelings, where on the other hand she had none. But he loved the city just as much as her, and wasn't going to leave her behind.

"Where do you plan on going next, I've been dying to see Bordeaux." It was approaching the end of their one year anniversary of being in Monterey, and they decided that they would stay a year maximum, before going somewhere else.

"Back to New Orleans." 

She turned her head to the side to look at him, and had kept a straight face. "Not funny."

"It wasn't supposed to be funny, Marcel knows that me and Elijah are alive and the city is going crazy."

"And that is my problem beacuse..." She stayed nonchalant, and her head starred upward towars the stars.

"Because, you are my family. Nora I died in a world where me and you-"

"Klaus. I really don't want to do this right now." She started to stand up, but was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

"No." She looked at him in the darkness, his silhouette being more visible than him. "We were in love, you and I." She could see the fog could around his mouth as he spoke.

"What kind of love..?" She whispered the question, because she was afraid to ask. Was this letting emotion in?

"The helpless kind..You know, it feels like I've been watching you through glass for the last three years. In the last life you loved me, and in this one you don't. I love you in every form, but your haunting my life, your my living nightmare, but even in my sleep it is a hell that I cannot see you." He reached both of his hands to cup both sides of her face, and her eyes focused in on him, on the tears that ran down his skin. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"How could you not hear me falling apart without you? I can't do this anymore..This, is the worst of the worst." She heart his stifle his words, to hold back his tears, and she slapped his arms away from her face.

"No, you lied to me!" She pointed back at him, after she took a few steps away. "How could you promise me an eternity of love, and then die on me one year in?" She shook her head in disbelief. " You're mad at me because I couldn't wait for the storm to pass, so I decided to dance in the rain." She scoffed. "How was I supposed to know until we met again was going to be so soon?" She felt torn with herself, like the thin line was right there and this was the closest that she's ever been to it in years. She could feel her mind tearing between the old her, and the new her.

"I'm not mad at you, but all of this anger that your feeling, channel it and let it in." He moved closer to her. "You'll feel horrible, but I promise I'll be right here on the other side waiting for you." 

"I can't trust your promises, anymore." Yes, he was right there waiting for her, but he left out his company of guilt and sadness. She was fine with Klaus going back to throne as King of the City, but she just couldn't pick up where she left off. And she was fine with being by herself.

Turning on her heal, she started walking along the while line down the road by herself. She jerked backwards when she felt a tug on her arm and his hands were back around her neck.

"I'm sorry, love." The feeling of getting your neck broken never really got familiar.