5

Alex's P.O.V.

I paused outside the open class door,

"I'm just not smart enough.", I heard one of the boys say softly.

"I really hope that wasn't self negativity I heard.", I said walking in. Everyone scrambled from the small circle to their seats. "What's going on?"

"We were just talking sir.", Max said. I nodded,

"You all are allowed to talk. I apologize for being late, I got caught up in a meeting. Thank you al for behaving." They all nodded a little as my eyes fell to Justin, who looked away, "Justin, look at me." He did so. "Why would you say you aren't smart enough?"

"I-I just don't think I'm very smart sir.", he whispered. I sighed, sitting on the tall chair at the front of the class,

"I'd like to know what you all were discussing." They all looked at Justin, as it was obvious the conversation had been about him. I guess being terrified of me brought people together because these ten had become rather close. I was the outsider here.

"I'm moving.", Justin said quietly.

"May I ask why?"

"I-I'm not doing good in class. Or with people or anything. My parents are mad I'm not meeting expectations. I really am trying my best, I'm just not smart enough to go here." I sighed,

"Any other day, I'd have your ass for talking like that." He froze. "But today, I think we just need a class discussion." I closed the door, turning back to them, "Move the desks. Make a circle."

~~~~

I sat in a desk between Mia and Ashlyn.

"Do any of you guys feel like you aren't smart enough to go here?" Everyone's hand slowly went up, even Mia's. "Well, you're all wrong. Each and every one of you is incredibly bright. Are you top of every single class? No. Are you the best at everything? No. But every one of you has at least one thing that you are incredible at." I looked to Justin, "I've heard you play piano. Sometimes I sit outside the music hall and just listen to you play. It's passionate and full of every emotion. It's how you express yourself and you do so beautifully. Not many people can do that." He blushed a little,

"Thank you." I paused for a second,

"Guys, mentoring- or teaching in general for that matter- isn't about the bad things. It isn't about making mistakes and being punished for them. It isn't about feeling guilty over and over again or hiding things until they come out. Sometimes, it's about this. It's about sitting in a circle and talking. It's about acknowledging the negative things in our lives and talking about them. I'm not here to he your enemy. I'm not here for you all to be so scared of me you'd rather be arrested or in grave danger than talk to me. I'm here to help you. Yes, I can be stern and get angry and scary, but have any of you ever seen me hold a grudge? Or bring up a past mistake to ridicule anyone?" The all shook their heads. "Because I've already forgiven them. Once you're punished for something, always assume I forgive you because I do. And if you're unsure, come ask me. If you don't understand something, ask me. We can always talk about things. If you don't understand why you were punished, you'll repeat the mistake. It doesn't help anyone." I paused again, "And if any of you ever need to talk to someone or need a day like today, just say so. We're still being productive. Max, what have you learned today?"

"That Justin hid the fact that he can play piano." Everyone laughed a little.

"I learned that headmaster can smile. And be helpful without that stupid strap.", Maria said softly.

"Sometimes it isn't the solution. Sometimes.", I said.

"I think I wanna stay.", Justin said softly, "Maybe I can do it."