49

Alex's P.O.V.

Kaden shuffled into the kitchen after practice one day,

"Alex..."

"What's wrong?", I asked turning around only to freeze, "Holy shit Kaden what happened?", I asked, frantically getting him an ice pack for his big black eye.

"I-I got hit."

"With a ball or a fist?"

"Uhh-"

"Don't even try to fucking lie to me young man."

"I don't wanna tell you. It's stupid."

"Too bad. You're hurt so you are gonna tell me." He hesitated, looking anywhere but at me,

"I- It was Maysen."

"I thought you guys were doing good." Him and Maysen had been dating for a few months. She seemed nice but always a little off.

"I-I guess she thought I was flirting with Mia today in the hallway- disgusting, by the way. She's my sister, ew." He paused, "But she freaked out on me after practice and just kept trying to hit me."

"Has she done this before?" He hesitated. "Kaden how long as this been going on?"

"Almost three months."

"So since the fucking beginning?" He nodded a little. "Kaden what the fuck."

"I-I know. I just- I'm sorry. I'm such a fucking pussy-" I grabbed his chin in my hand,

"Don't talk like that. You're not a pussy. She's abusing you and it needs to be fixed. You need to dump her."

"I-I know I'm just scared.", he laughed a little.

"I can come with you K. I won't let anything happen to you."

"I know." I hugged him tightly,

"I love you. You should never let people hurt you just because they're a girl or older than you or anything. No one has the right to disrespect you and if they do, there are consequences. Okay?" He nodded,

"I love you too."

"Now go shower. Please."

~~~~

Maverick stood in the doorway of Lily and I's room,

"I wanna play football." Oh no. I know how this goes.

"I'll talk to your mom. Then I'll talk to you about it."

"But tryouts are tomorrow!"

"Mav, waiting until the last minute doesn't warrant an automatic yes. If I convince her after tryouts, I'll talk to your coach, okay?"

"Okay.", he sighed.

"Hey, don't pout. And if me or your mom ever tell you to do something for safety purposes, you'd better do it or I'll have your ass, got me?"

"Yeah." He paused, "Can I help you fold laundry?" I chuckled a little,

"Sure but if you want something else you can just ask me kiddo." He shook his head,

"I just like spending time with you." I smiled,

"You're so sweet." He blushed a little, rolling his eyes,

"I-I've never had like... a dad... it's kinda nice."

"Well good because I don't think I'll be going anywhere anytime soon."

"I hope not. I've also never seen my mom like... in love... and I think she is."

"We both are."

Mia's P.O.V.

"Maybe if she didn't dress like a slut people would like her." I spun around to the new kid,

"Excuse me? First off, you know nothing about me and people do like me. Second off, you have no right to talk shit on me like that. Third, stop staring at my fucking ass before I beat the shit out of yours." Someone cleared their throat behind me,

"Remia." Fuck.

So. Much. Trouble.

"That's more than enough young lady. We'll talk more at home." Fuck.

~~~~

I was freaking out all day. I'm pretty sure I failed a test and two quizzes that I really did study hard for. By seventh hour, I was lightheaded and trembling from the lack of food, nausea, and absolute fear. And now I had to sit through a whole hour with dad being pissed off. I couldn't focus on anything.

"Remia." I jumped as he called my name, "I know I said we'd talk at home, but seeing as you're not paying attention, maybe we should chat now." I frantically shook my head,

"N-No. Please not now.", I forced out.

"Get up here." I froze momentarily before forcing my legs to take me to the front of the class. He gestured to the desk, "Bend over."

"I-"

"Stop fucking arguing.", he snapped. I did so, reluctantly obeying him as I heard his belt come off. At least it wasn't the strap.

WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!

~~~~

Home was quiet and awkward. If me or Kaden or Maverick got in trouble at school, it wasn't like at home. There was no aftercare, no forgiveness, no reassurance. Just dad being bitter and passive aggressive and us not knowing how to act or fix it.

"Dad?", I whispered, following him into the kitchen but keeping my distance.

"What?"

"Are you gonna hit me again?"

"No. You got enough at school I would hope." I paused,

"W-Will you?"

"Spank you again?", I forced a nod, trying not to puke. "Why would you ask that?"

"I-I just- Y-You're still really m-mad and I just wanna fix it." His shoulders dropped a little bit,

"I'm sorry. I'm not mad at you love. I'm stressed about other stuff and I channeled that at you. I'm sorry."

"So you're not mad?"

"No baby, I'm not." For the first time in twelve hours, I could feel my feet again. I leaned on the counter to try not to fall, only now realizing how weak I felt. "Did you eat today?" I shook my head a little,

"No. I thought I'd puke."

"I'm sorry.", he said softly, sitting me gently at the table as he got me a sandwich and an apple, "Eat. I'm surprised you haven't passed out yet."

"I was too stressed to pass out.", I laughed a little.

"I'm sorry I get like that and freak you out sometimes."

"Dad, it's okay, really. I just thought you were still mad."

"I'm not. And it's not okay. It's something I really need to work on with myself."

"You are working on it."

"Not well enough."

"You're trying. That's enough."