15

Mia's P.O.V.

Ms. Ramirez stopped, her eyes landing on the T.V. where the news showed people being tear gassed at a riot.

"They're gassing those babies like they used to gas us.", she whispered. I stopped straightening the books in her classroom,

"Why did they gas you?", I asked softly. She gently pulled me up off the floor,

"We were trying to come to America. It was not a good time for Cuba, at all. American military came and stopped us from boarding our boat. When we started to riot- not aggressively but yelling and screaming- they started to get violent and it just escalated. It took three days for me to find a small boat a long ways from ours and get what was left of my family safe." She paused, "A man came after my daughter, she was only two, and my husband tried to protect her. They shot him. By the time I got to America, I had my brother, my daughter, and two of my sons. I had four."

"I'm so sorry." She nodded,

"It's the price we pay to come to this country. They shouldn't have to pay the same price when they're already here." I nodded,

"How's your family now?"

"Oh they're grown. Because we made sacrifices to come to this country, I get to have grandbabies. Lots and lots of them. And I get to have my adopted kids.", she said pinching my cheek.

"I'm glad you're here. You're like my mom." She deadpanned,

"I am your mom mija." I laughed a little as a man walked in,

"Mami, it's almost six."

"Oh. Oops.", she said turning off the T.V. and gathering her things, "Come along. I'm sure your dad is waiting." I grabbed my stuff and followed her out of the history class, just as dad came down the hall,

"There you are. It's getting late, let's go home." I nodded,

"Bye Ms. Ramirez."

"Bye Mia! Thank you for your help."

"Anytime!" Dad and I walked outside and toward our apartment as he glanced at me,

"You were helping Ms. Ramirez?" I nodded,

"Yeah. She can't get on the floor to organize books. Something about her hip and the government." He chuckled, smiling softly but saying no more. "What?"

"Nothing I just- I'm just proud of you. That's all."

~~~~

"Can I ask you something?", I asked dad, calming down from my previous rant.

"Of course."

"What's your stance on abortion?" He paused,

"I'm not telling you that. Just like I won't tell you if I'm a Democrat or a Republican. I don't want my opinions to sway yours or for you to change your opinion of me based on what I believe."

"I won't. I know you're a good person, despite what you believe." I paused, "I just wanna know if you'd support me if I was ever in that situation."

"Absolutely.", he didn't miss a beat, "I would a hundred percent support you kid. And that's not about whether I'm pro-life or pro-choice. I'm pro-you. I support you, whether it's against what I personally believe or not. It doesn't matter where I stand on any issue because above all else, I stand next to you."

"Thanks dad." He shrugged,

"It's what you do as a parent."

"Only if you're a good parent."

Maria's P.O.V.

"Any volunteers?", Alex asked in class. Please let someone else go. Please. I guess I could lie, but he'd know. What if he already knows? What if he knows and he's just waiting to call me out? Or if he- Fuck he's staring at me.

"I-I ditched class.", I whispered. He nodded,

"I know. Thank you for being honest. Up." I hesitated but obeyed, glancing at Max, who looked disappointed. "Over the desk." I did as he said, shaking a little. "Today we're gonna learn about paddles- which aren't as bad as they sound." He laid a thick wooden paddle on my jeans as I tensed up, soon feeling his hand on my back, "Stop tensing up. Breathe.", he said softly.

"I-I'm scared.", I choked out.

"I know. But I've never hurt you or any of the others. You tensing up and holding your breath is what's going to make this hurt more kid. Take a few deep breaths." I did so, calming down. "Good job. Now, with paddles, it's better if the person is bend over something than over your lap. And your hits need to be solid-"

SMACK!

I yelped as he kept the paddle sitting on my ass,

"Like that. If you hold the paddle loosely or your wrist isn't straight, it will land in the wrong spot and hurt both of you. With a paddle, most hits should be on the center of the butt-"

SMACK!

"No more than ten should ever be on the sit spots." He paused, "Any questions."

"Are you gonna actually spank her? Because if you don't, I am.", Max said. My eyes fell to him as he shrugged, "You know how I feel about ditching class or not doing your work. I'm disappointed in you Maria." I looked away as the paddle left my ass,

"Here.", Alex said. I went to jump up but he pushed me back down, "No. Your brother has sat through this class just like you have. He knows what he's doing by now and the best way to learn is through practice." I whimpered. "Are you genuinely not okay with him spanking you?"

"No I-I just don't want anyone to."

"Well that's not an option kid. If you seriously don't want him to, say so now." I shook my head. "Okay." Alex sat down as I felt the paddle return to my already sore ass,

SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!

Max paused for a second as I cried, moving the paddle to the top of my thighs and pressing his hand onto my back to keep me in place,

SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!SMACK!

He stopped, rubbing my butt softly,

"Good job." The bell rang as I jumped up and grabbed my things, trying to bolt of the room. Max quickly grabbed me and pulled me to his chest, hugging me tightly, "I forgive you. You don't get to run away from me because your embarrassed."

"I'm sorry.", I whispered. He nodded,

"I know. It's done with. I forgive you." I nodded a little, wiping my tears as I stepped back and looked to Alex. He sighed,

"I forgive you too. Go home."

"Thanks.", I whispered. Max draped his arm over my shoulder,

"Let's get ice cream."