44

Alex's P.O.V.

"Hey uh Asher is freaking out.", Beck said through the phone.

"He's probably teething kiddo. Give him something cold to chew on and a little pit of Tylenol. He'll be alright."

"Thanks. Sorry we call so much-"

"Stop apologizing. Parenting is scary. I'd much rather you call me about small things than not call me about anything. I'm never bothered by it. Promise."

"Thanks Al. Love you."

"I love you too kid." He hung up as Mia snuggled into my side on the couch.

"Love you.", Mia said softly.

"I love you too babe."

~~~~

"Mia!", I called up the stairs, "Come on! It's time for school!" Still nothing. "Remia do not make me come get you!"

"Dad?" I spun around as Jake came out of his room, obviously exhausted.

"Woah, what's wrong?"

"Please stop.", his voice cracked, "Please. I can't fucking take it anymore."

"Jake, what are you talking about? Why do you look like shit?"

"She's not here dad. And I cannot keep fucking telling you twice a week."

"Not- she is here. She's just asleep and she's gonna be late for school."

"Fine. Go check. She is not here." I hesitated but bolted up the stairs to Mia's room. Empty.

"Where is she!?"

"She's dead dad.", Jake said from the stairs, "She's been dead for three years. You need to go back to therapy. You need to get help." I swung open the door to Mavericks room, finding it empty too,

"Where's Maverick?"

"Him and Lily left months ago. They couldn't take this shit. I just can't leave you, especially like this."

"I don't understand."

"I know. Please go back to the doctor. I'll go with you, we'll figure it out."

"O-Okay."

~~~~

People whispered as I made my way through campus with Jake. I glanced at my reflection in the windows we passed. I looked way older than forty.

"Good morning Mr. James.", a girl said as she joined me and Jake.

"Good morning. And you are...?"

"Lizzy. My mentee.", Jake explained, "Who should already be at her first class."

"About that-"

"Elizabeth."

"Jake I hate it! Please can I just ditch this once?"

"Absolutely not Lizzy. I don't care if you hate the class, you still have to go. Now. Don't make me be the bad guy so early in the morning."

"Yes sir.", she pouted, turning to leave.

"Hey." She stopped. "Love you. Have a good day."

"Love you too Jake." She jogged off as he looked to me,

"You're not gonna remember, but I took her on as my mentee a few months after Mia died. She reminds me a lot of her."

"How-How did she...-"

"She-She killed herself."

"No, she tried. She woke up."

"No dad, she didn't."

"Yes she did Jake! And-And we made up and she moved back in and-"

"None of that happened. She died. You fell into what the doctors call psychological amnesia. You basically got so sad you made her up in your head. We've been doing this for years."

"It just doesn't make any sense."

"I know. We're still trying to figure out how to fix it. But it's hard to help when we don't know a lot about it." We went to cross the street as Jake stopped to look for cars. I didn't. "Dad!"

~~~~

I sat up in bed,

"Mia!?"

"Alex wake up dipshit!" I rubbed the sleep from my eyes,

"Kaden? What the hell are you doing here?"

"Would you get the fuck up and get dressed? Mia comes in three hours and you look like shit."

"Mia? She's okay?"

"I'm sure she's not okay. Her parents just died, asshole."

"Just- Are you telling me all that was a dream?" The teenage boy who lived next to my vacation house sat on the bed,

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I had this drean and it was like my life with Mia. And it was so much better than my life now and I-I got married and had two more kids and everything was fantastic and then she-she killed herself and I made her up that she was still alive and- So she's not dead? We haven't even met yet?"

"No, you haven't. Goddamn how many sleeping pills did you take?"

"Like four. I felt like shit."

"I'm aware. You were asleep for almost 3 days. I almost called an ambulance but abuela said not to."

"Well I feel better now and I guess I need to start my new life."

"I guess you do."

~~~~

The doorbell rang as Kaden lit up,

"Can I-"

"Sorry kid, get home." He sighed,

"Fine. Buzzkill."

"You can meet her some other time."

"Good luck Alex."

"Home Kaden. Not to your friends."

"Yeah, yeah." He walked out the back door as I sighed. In the dream, I was a dick and it didn't go well. Let's change it.

"Mia?", I asked opening the door. The small girl nodded, her blue eyes wide. "I'm Alex. Come inside." She did so, carrying her suitcase and single duffel bag. "Where's all your stuff?"

"This is it."

"Oh. Well we can go shopping tomorrow, yeah?" She smiled, nodding a little. "C'mon, I'll show you your room." She followed me up the stairs to her room, smiling at the space,

"It's so pretty."

"Well, it's yours for a few months." She turned back to me,

"W-What happens to me after that?"

"We move onto the campus I run so you can start school and I can run the school."

"Oh. So you're like what? The principal?" I chuckled,

"Kinda. Headmaster. I just run and own everything."

"Oh just everything, no big deal.", she said sarcastically. I laughed a little as she blushed, "Sorry."

"Don't apologize. C'mon. I'll show you around."

~~~~

"I hope pizza's okay for dinner.", I said as Mia came into the kitchen. She nodded,

"Yeah, that sounds great."

"Good. I can cook, I'm just not feeling it."

"Could you like... maybe teach me... sometime?"

"How to cook?" She nodded. "I'd love to.