13

Alex's P.O.V.

"You're gonna get mad.", Luke said as I walked in the room, "But what you did in fifth was badass." I rolled my eyes,

"I was defending my people, rightfully so. It's being a decent person."

"It was awesome.", Maria said. Everyone nodded.

"Well, thank you. But I don't- and you shouldn't- do things for the compliments and attention. Not always at least." I paused, "And don't ever be one of those people who just stands by and video tapes. If someone else is handling it, okay. If it's something you're scared or unsure how to handle, call me or the cops."

"Why would we ever call the cops?", Max asked. Ashlyn nodded,

"ACAB. All Cops Are Bastards."

Smack!

Max slapped her leg as she smiled innocently. I sat at the front,

"That's not true Ash. Some cops are good people. Some cops stop that stuff and speak against cops that are bastards. If any of you ever need to call the cops in a situation, I'd better be your next call if not before them. I'll be there before the cops. Sometimes things aren't right and every system is flawed but there are cops that would have been appalled if they saw the cop today barge in to accuse an incredible educator of burglary. Appalled. And I've already contacted that cops chief and he said he would handle it accordingly because it wasn't okay. Some cops are bastards, yes. And the ones that watch it happen or know their buddies shouldn't be cops and stay silent, are bastards too. But the ones peacefully protesting and protecting people like they're supposed to do, aren't bastards and they do exist. Just like some black people are criminals. Or some white people make meth. You can't bunch everyone into one category like that because of people who they don't know and would never affiliate with. I'd never be friends with someone I knew was selling hard drugs to kids and if I knew someone like that, I'd turn them in. But I could do the same thing as them. I'm not and I would never and that's the difference."

"I have a question.", Sebastian said softly. I nodded,

"Go ahead."

"So, I'm Italian. I wasn't even born in this country, I moved here when I was six. Legally, of course. I've never faced any sort of discrimination in this country. And I'm a literal immigrant. So why does Mr. Nichols have to deal with it when he was born twenty minutes from here? Wasn't he in the military? Didn't he protest when they tried to tear down the first fire department in the city? He's poured blood and sweat into this city and country because it's his home and all he's ever gotten back is negativity and false accusations."

"I know it's hard to understand. Guys, we don't even understand it and we're adults. When you aren't a bad person, you don't understand those who are. I did some research between fifth hour and now and found something fantastic. I know that cop doesn't realize it, but last year Mr. Nichols came across a wreck that'd just happened. A young girl had flipped her car and was stuck in it upside down. The car was going up in flames fast and Mr. Nichols pulled her out and away, seconds before it exploded. That girl was the cops sixteen year old daughter. The mayor tried to honor him for it but he refused, not wanting the attention or publicity. People who do good things, do good things for them and others around them. Not for the money and fame. I for one, am going home to write two letters."

"Why?"

"One to the cop from today, explaining why his actions were unnecessary and honestly traumatic for some of my students, and one to the police department on what an incredible person Mr. Nichols is and why he and many others shouldn't have to worry about being killed by cops for jogging. And how we won't stand for it. If enough people protest things peacefully with evidence and reasonings, eventually people listen."

"We'll write letters too.", Max said as everyone nodded, "It's ridiculous. Tony was still shaking last hour."

"I can't imagine a cop coming in here and accusing dad of robbing someone.", Mia said.

"Because it wouldn't happen. That's the real problem."

~~~~

Mia went to retake a test after class as Tony knocked on my door.

"Come in.", I said. He did so, clearly nervous,

"I um- I wanted to thank you. For earlier with my dad and everything." He paused, "I've been around for three situations like that and no one's ever stood up for him. I know people have before, but not when I was around."

"I'm really sorry you had to see and go and through that. Ever. You're dads are both incredible people and I can't ever imagine them doing anyone wrong."

"They wouldn't. I hate how careful they have to be sometimes and they never were here. Anytime we leave campus, it's like a week to over prepare for one day out, but here, dad has no problem with me going out with friends and not coming home until ten."

"I'm extremely cautious about who I let onto campus at all, let alone who I hire and enroll. This is a safe place for anyone. I trust Mia to go out with friends too, but I'd never let her out in the city without me."

"It's not that people don't trust their kids, it's that people don't trust people. And they can't."

"I know. And it's terrible." I sighed, "But one day, it'll be your dad and I's generation and your generation, and hopefully we can move forward and remember how terrible it was in these times."

"I hope so."

"I'm talking to people in the city. What that cop did wasn't and will never be okay and his boss agrees. There are still good people, good cops. I know that's really hard to grasp with everything going on though."

"I know there are. It's just something I don't rely on." I nodded,

"And if anything ever happens and you don't know what to do or your dads need help or anything at all, please call me. Anytime."

"I will. They won't.", he rolled his eyes, "Dads are really adamant about handling things on their own. They don't want to ask for help and want to show people that being a minority, especially in multiple ways, doesn't stop them from anything. Especially defending themselves." He paused, "But I'm not really like that.", he laughed a little, "I call one of them if I can't decide between what to eat for dinner. I call my grandparents and uncles when I think my dads are upset with me. I reach out to people any chance I get because one day, I might not get to. If the situation earlier had been with just dad and I, I would have called my uncle. Or you, if I'd known I could."

"Well now you do know. Call me for anything you need. Please. I'm three floors away from you guys."

"I forget about that sometimes."

"Me too.", I chuckled. He nodded a little,

"Well, thank you. For everything."

"Anytime kiddo."