30

Alex's P.O.V.

"I am so incredibly sorry.", the young girl said. Allison. She looked much more like me than Mary did. She was also a spitting image of Tayana and could represent Tennessee as a whole.

"It's not your fault kiddo.", I chuckled. I looked back towards the small ranch house, watching Mia excitedly pet a pure white horse, "She's never seen a horse before.", I laughed.

"I can tell.", Allison laughed too, she leaned on the white fence, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. She was wearing jeans and boots, her t-shirt tucked in nicely, and a leather farm hat over her brown pigtails. "So... you're my dad?", she asked softly. I nodded,

"Yeah. I-I guess so." I paused, "I'm sorry I didn't know."

"I'm sorry I trusted her and told her when I found you online."

"Not your fault kid. Really." I paused, "We... shouldn't have just dropped in on you-"

"No! No, it's alright, really. I-I didn't have the time or guts to go find you but I really wanted to meet you. I-I'd love it if you stayed a few days. I can teach Mia how to ride a horse."

"She would love that."

~~~~

"Dad?"

"Hm?" Mia crawled into the guest bed next to me,

"I really like her."

"Really? You're not threatened by her or anything?"

"No. I really think it was Mary herself. I knew something was off. I like Alli a lot. She's really cool. Like an older sister."

"Good. I'm really glad baby."

"Me too."

"Are we okay?" She nodded,

"I ran out of energy to be upset with you."

"Good. Me too."

~~~~

"Bye dad!"

"Hold it. You have a doctor's appointment kid. Remember?" Mia whined,

"Nooo."

"Yeah. Sorry kiddo. It'll be fast, then you can go to Zayn's."

"It better be."

~~~~

Mia and I rode in silence from the doctor's office. About five minutes into our fifteen minute drive, Mia sniffled a little. I pulled off in an abandoned parking lot, leaning over and hugging her as she cried,

"It's gonna be okay. They're gonna fix it.", I whispered, hoping she wouldn't notice my own tears.

"I-I don't wanna die daddy.", she sobbed, "I-I-I love my life now. So-So much."

"You're not gonna die. He said they can fix it. Everything will be okay."

"I love you too much to die now."

"I love you more kid. So, so, so much."

~~~~

"Daddy I'm scared."

"I know love. But I promise these are the best doctors out there. Only the best for my babygirl. I'll be right here in an hour when you wake up. Cancer free."

"Me too.", Jake said softly, "Love you sis.", he said hugging her.

"I love you too bubba."

~~~~