38

Mia's P.O.V.

"You should be in bed.", Jake woke me up on the couch.

"I wanted to make sure you got home. What time is it?"

"Almost one. Don't tell dad."

"What'd you guys even do?"

"We went roller skating and then built a big sand castle on the beach."

"I-I thought that was our thing."

"We can all do it Mia.", he shrugged. I nodded a little. "Emmy's at her sleepover still so I'm gonna go to bed. Night."

"Can-Can I talk to you?"

"Kid, I'm really tired. Can we talk in the morning?"

"Yeah. No it-it's fine. Never mind." He sighed,

"What about?"

"Nothing Jake. Just go to bed. It's fine."

"Did you eat dinner?" I paused, wondering when the last time someone asked me that was,

"Yeah." He nodded,

"Night."

"Night."

~~~~

"What time did you get home?", I asked dad the next morning.

"Late. You shouldn't be sleeping on the couch."

"Sorry."

"Jeez Alex, lighten up on the kid.", Lily said coming in, "Sorry you couldn't come with us. Were you okay here alone?" I nodded, forcing a smile,

"I-I um- I think I'm gonna go to school early."

"Whatever.", dad muttered. I sighed, grabbing my bag. "Love you."

"Okay." I got in the elevator and went downstairs before going to the library. I walked to the back corner, sitting across from Ashton.

"Good morning.", he said cheerfully. I smiled,

"Morning Ash."

"What's wrong?" I slumped down into the seat across from him,

"I-I just need to talk to someone.", I whispered. He closed his book,

"I'm all ears kiddo."

"I feel like everyone hates me. Jake would rather spend time with Allison than me and she barely even knows I exist. Dad jumps at everything I do now. He just keeps trying to fill spots with new kids and ignoring me. I like Maverick a lot but it's like it's a competition. I stayed home all alone last night while everyone went out to do family things without me. And I couldn't have anyone over because I'm grounded for calling dad out on being pissy with me. And then he got onto me because I slept on the couch. Because even though I'm a doormat to them, I couldn't sleep without knowing they were home safe. I know he doesn't want me around anymore. Hell, he never did. He never signed up to be my dad. He probably didn't even sign up to be my godfather. He got dragged into this and I just wish he'd get rid of me already."

"If you're so unhappy you can move into dorms." I turned around to find dad behind me, "I came here to check on you because Lily said you've been acting weird-"

"It shouldn't take your girlfriend telling you to realize your daughter's a mess."

"Fiance. I proposed last night." I scoffed a little,

"Maybe I will move into dorms."

~~~~

Dorms were lonely. No one didn't have a roomate, so I had a dorm to myself. No one was there to tell me to sleep or eat or do my homework. No family dinner, no one to wake me up for school, no one to go to when it stormed. Just me. I had a perfect view of the apartment that used to be my home. Sometimes I could see into the living room where everyone watch T.V. together. A happy family. Happy now.

"Hey. How's it going?", Beck asked over the phone.

"Great. I-I love it.", I said softly.

"You hate it."

"I hate being alone."

"You can move in here MiMi."

"And burden you and Zach? No. Alex never signed up for me and neither did you guys."

"You're not calling him dad anymore?"

"He was never my dad."

Alex's P.O.V.

"Mia!"

"Dad, she moved out. Remember?", Jake said softly as I stood at the stairs.

"Oh. Yeah. I-I guess I just forgot."

"Yeah."

"What's wrong?"

"I just- I wish you were more upset about it. You actually seem happier now and I hate that so much. I miss my sister. I miss our family."

"This is our family."

"No dad, it's not. It's you and Lily's family. And I love Lily and Mav, really. But Alli and I are grown. Mia just got kicked out of her own family. What happened to never replacing her? What happened to her being your daughter? She felt so unincluded in her own home that she left. You pushed her away so much that she just left. She sits at her dorm window for hours, just watching the apartment. She hasn't even talked to Zayn in weeks. They're falling apart. She's falling apart. You fucked up dad." My phone rang,

"Hello?"

"Alex?", Zayn.

"Zayn? What's up?"

"I know you don't really care. But how do I fix Mia?"

"I do care. But I don't really know."

"If you cared, you'd be helping me. She won't eat, she won't sleep. She just sits in her room. She finishes her homework and then stares at your apartment for hours. She's not gonna make it like this and I can't fix it. It's really hard to fix what you didn't break."

"I-I'll try and talk to her."

~~~~

"Mia?", I knocked on the door, "Mia, it's me. Open the door." Nothing. "Mia you have three seconds. One... Two... Three." I opened the door and froze. "Mia?" Please be asleep. Please just be asleep. "Mia, wake up." I picked up the pills on her nightstand. Hydrocodone? How did she even get those? And how many did she take?

~~~~

You promised a lot of stuff. That you'd never leave me. You'd always take care of me and protect me. You'd always be there and love me. You promised I'd never eat dinner alone. You promised I'd never have to sit through another breakdown alone. That you'd hold my hand through whatever I needed as long as I held my head high. I didn't believe you for a really long time. I'd just started to when Jake came back. And then Allison came. And then Lily. Then Maverick. And I love them, I do. But you can't balance. Jake is smart. Allison's your real kid. You chose Lily and Maverick. You got stuck with me. You never wanted some fucked up teenage girl. You never wanted that responsibility and I'm sorry it got dumped on you. I'm sorry I'm so much work. I'm sorry you made so many promises to me. I'm sorry you put so much time and work and money into me. I'm sorry I believed you. I did everything alone for so long, I thought it'd be easy to go back. But it wasn't. I miss being loved. I miss having a family. But you were never my dad. I was never your daughter. I was your burden.