20

Alex's P.O.V.

"Were you... telling the truth?", I asked the girl in front of me. She nodded,

"It's fine now. I'm out so it doesn't matter." Opal had filled out a 'get to know me' paper for one of her classes, saying she'd been in a sex trafficking ring for a few years before.

"So they got caught?"

"No... I got away. Then I applied here on a whim because I didn't know where to go and you gave me a scholarship. So, thank you."

"Where are your parents?"

"Well, I never knew my mom. And my dad is in the business. This is a closed campus, right?"

"Completely."

"Then this is where I'm safe. I like it here a lot."

"I'm glad. And I'll fight to keep you here and safe, but we need to report it to the police."

"But-"

"Opal there are others. Kids. You can really change lives."

"I'm scared they'll find me."

"They'll never get to you if they're in prison."

"You don't know what they're like."

~~~~

I sighed a little,

"I just- I don't like it."

"I know. But why not?", Jake asked. He'd decided to start putting Emmy in daycare because he's applying for jobs and someone needs to watch her.

"What if something happens? What if she gets hurt or-or someone touches her or something and she can't tell us?" He looked to Emmy, who sat on the floor coloring,

"Hey Em, c'mere." She got up and walked over, fixing her sparkly purple dress,

"Yes father?" Jake rolled his eyes,

"Stop calling me that. Brat." She giggled a little. "Hey, do you remember where no one is supposed to touch you?"

"If my swimsuit covers it, they shouldn't touch it."

"Good job. And what'd you do if someone does? Or if someone hits you?"

"I tell daddy or papa or Mia."

"That's right." She crawled into his lap, yawning,

"Daddy I'm tired."

"Did you nap this morning?" She looked down.

"Emerson your dad asked you a question little girl.", I said sternly. She shook her head,

"No daddy."

"Why not?"

"I didn't wanna!"

"So what did you do instead?"

"Threw a fit.", she whispered.

"And now you're tired. But it's way past nap time and if you sleep now, you won't sleep at bed time. So you aren't taking a nap now but you are absolutely going to bed early."

"No!", she whined, "I wanna take a nap now!"

"Emerson May that's enough.", he scolded, "Continue whining and you'll get a spanking on top of going to bed early." She huffed and got off his lap as he turned her back to him, "Hey, lose the 'tude little miss." She stuck her tongue out at him and spun around as her grabbed her waist,

SMACK, SMACK!

"Enough.", he scolded, "Go color." She pouted but did as told. "She'll be okay dad. She knows."

"It still scares me."

~~~~

"Why are you in trouble?", I asked Mia sternly. She sat on her bed, staring through me,

"Because you're angry." We both paused as my heart fell. Her eyes quickly met mine, "I'm sorry. I don't know why I said that.", she whispered, "B-Because I didn't take care of myself."

"Baby I'm not angry."

"I know."

"No you don't. You think I'm mad at you. I promise I'm not love. I'm worried about you. I'm sorry I didn't catch it. I should have been paying more attention." Mia didn't sleep for two days and barely ate, therefore missed her pills twice and had a slight nervous breakdown.

"It was my fault."

"It's alright. It won't happen again kid."

"It could."

"No, it won't. I'm gonna watch you too. And everytime that clock hits eleven, you'd better remember this spanking and decide to sleep. Got it?" She nodded. I sat next to her, picking up the wooden hairbrush as she laid over my lap,

SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!

I stopped, rubbing her butt,

"Good girl. All done love." I helped her up as she clung to me tightly, whispering apologies and promises as her eyes fought to stay open. "Shh, it's okay Mia. I love you and I forgive you. Everything's okay baby." I pet her hair and rocked her slightly until she fell asleep, then carried her to the living room with me.

"She okay?", Jake asked, holding his own sleeping baby. I nodded,

"Yeah. She'll be fine kiddo."

~~~~

A young man walked into my office nervously.

"Here for an interview?", I asked, standing to shake his hand. He paused,

"Um, sorta. You're Alex James, right?"

"Yep."

"My name is Beckett. Beckett... James... I'm your brother."

"I don't have a brother."

"Surprise?", he smiled sheepishly, "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have just dropped in or anything and if you wanted to know me you would have reached out-"

"You're really my brother?" I guess we did kinda look alike... the same hair and eyes and jawline.

"Yeah. Marcus James is my dad and Mary Antoinette is my mom."

"How old are you?"

"Nineteen."

"That's impossible. I-"

"Moved out when mom was three months pregnant." Fuck that does add up.

"Okay... so are you here for money or...-"

"No! No, of course not. I just- I spent my whole life wishing I wasn't alone and I had siblings and a few weeks ago, dad told me I had a brother. I-I just had to meet you. I'm sorry. This is dumb I-I should just go-"

"Please don't.", I said softly, stopping his feet, "I always wanted a sibling too. Let's go get lunch. My treat."

~~~~

"So you still talk to them?" Beck nodded,

"Yeah. Only because they hold everything I have over my head. I'm not in a great spot financially, with college and everything so I'm living with them and dad pays my insurance and stuff." I nodded,

"Well I'm not gonna give you money, for obvious reasons, but I can offer you a job. You're qualified to be a substitute teacher and we're short on teachers right now. Then you could move out and make your own money."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I wanna get to know you more." His face lit up,

"No one's ever really cared about getting to know me."

"I know. No one did for me either."

"Well now I do."