25

Mia's P.O.V.

"Mia, sit.", dad said softly.

"Oh. Y-Yeah.", I whispered, sitting at the table. I still felt like I needed specific directions to blink.

"Eat kiddo.", Jake said. I nodded, doing so and staying out of conversation. When we all finished, dad asked me to help with the dishes. We finished quickly as I stood awkwardly to the side.

"You okay?" I nodded,

"Can I go to my room?"

"You don't need to ask. Yes. I love you."

"I love you too." I went up to my room and sat on the bed, staring off at nothing. I'd been like this for days. I just couldn't snap out if it. I didn't wanna be alone but I felt like such a burden to everyone around me. I'd rather be alone wanting to die than inconvenience my people.

~~~~

"Mia? Mia!", I heard dad call, waking me up.

"In here.", I said softly. He opened the closet door, laughing a little,

"What're you doing?"

"I wanted a small space.", I shrugged.

"C'mon. Will you sleep in my room?", he asked pulling me up.

"Do you want me to?"

"Yes. If you want to." I just kinda looked at him as he sighed, "Yes. You're freaking me out and I don't want you to be alone."

"Okay." I grabbed my blanket and followed him to his room, crawling into bed with him.

"You have therapy tomorrow."

"Okay."

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

"If you want to."

"It's up to you kid." My heart raced. I hated that sentence. "Hey, calm down."

"It-It's not up to me. It's not my choice.", I said quickly. He sighed,

"I'll stay with you. I know that's what you want and you just won't say it. I don't understand what's going on but this isn't you Mia. It's really worrying me."

"I-I know. I'm sorry, I just can't stop."

"It's okay. We're gonna figure it out kid."

Alex's P.O.V.

"You're just a liberalistic bitch."

"And you're a misogynistic, racist bastard.", the small girl seethed, inches from the boy who towered over her. Her green eyes moved to me in the doorway, widening, "Shit.", she whispered. I gestured her out into the hall as she followed me, eyes on the ground.

"Care to elaborate?", I asked.

"No sir. I'm sorry I cussed. But I won't apologize for what I said about him, it was true."

"Are you afraid of me?" She nodded,

"Yes sir." I paused,

"I'm sorry. What can I do to fix that?" She looked up at me, clearly baffled,

"Did-Did you just apologize?"

"Yeah? I don't want you to be afraid of me. Why are you?"

"A bunch of upperclassmen keep telling me stories."

"How old are you?" She glanced around the empty hall,

"Eleven." My eyes widened,

"Marina! I knew I recognized you. You didn't seem so... timid... when we first met." Marina was insanely smart. She was a freshman.