19

Jake's P.O.V.

Mia came down into the carport first, dad following.

"Jake!", she cheered, hugging me.

"Hey kid! Oh my god you got tall.", I laughed. She came up to almost my shoulder now.

"I know!" Dad hugged me too, looking around,

"Well there's not a girl. Or a new car. What's the surprise?" I hesitated before reaching into the backseat and pulling out Emmy,

"This is Emerson."

~~~~

"How?", dad asked, holding the three year old as she slept.

"Well, when a guy and a girl go to a party-"

I know how jackass. You told me you didn't do parties."

"I don't for that reason. My friends convinced me a few years ago. I got with this girl who I really did like and we were talking and kinda dating even after the party and two months later, she dropped out and left. I had really liked her and it kinda killed me honestly. I'm not sure why I didn't tell you. I guess maybe it would have made it real. But a few weeks ago, right after I was told I didn't have to go back to classes, I hunted her down. She's on a lot of drugs now and it was really sad but I asked her why she left. She said she was pregnant and she knew I'd want to keep it and be a dad and was worried I'd drop out of college so she left and put the baby up for adoption. She was still at the orphanage Lisa left her at and I still technically had my rights as he father. So now I have her." I paused, "I'm really sorry I didn't tell you. I didn't know how to and it felt like an in person conversation. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Really." He looked down at the girl I loved more than anything, gently pushing the frizz from her brown pigtails away from her face, "I'm proud of you for doing the right thing when you found out."

"There wasn't another option. She's my kid."

"I want you guys here for awhile. Until you start to get the hang of things and she adjusts to us all as people because there's no way in hell I'll be uninvolved in her life."

"I knew you'd say that. I was gonna just take her home but. I-I just- I'd rather be here with my family and I know you'll help me but also show me how to do it on my own. And I don't wanna do it alone yet."

"Good. You shouldn't yet. I'm happy you're here and so is Mia. Both of you. She's really excited there's a girl around."

"Well I would hope so. Emmy's her niece."

~~~~

"Girls!" Mia and Emmy stopped playing tag,

"Yes?", they chimed.

"Wanna go to the park?" Emmy started jumping around happily,

"Yes! Yes! Yes!"

"Go get shoes on.", I chuckled. Mia flopped onto the couch as Emmy ran off,

"She's way more energetic than me."

"I caught on.", I laughed, "You're really good with her."

"So are you."

"Really?" She nodded,

"You're a good dad."

"I hope so."

"You are. You remind me of dad. A lot."

"Good."

"We're going to the park?", dad asked walking in.

"I was gonna take the girls. You don't have to go if you want some peace and quiet-"

"Of course I'm going. But we're going shopping afterwards if she's not too tired. Did she eat enough lunch? Should she wear shorts or is it too cold?"

"Dad it's July."

"Well yeah but it might be windy. I'll bring her jeans just in case." He rushed off as Mia and I laughed.

"He would have been a good dad from the start too.", she said softly. I nodded,

"Yeah. I think so too. But he was good at starting from the middle too."

"He was. And is."

"He's good at all of it. I'm better at dealing with you than her most days. I can talk to you and you understand things-"

"But you're not my dad. It won't be as easy when she's my age."

"I hope it is. I just don't know how to explain things like the meaning of life and police brutality to a three year old." Mia laughed,

"Dad doesn't know how to explain that stuff to me either Jake.", she said softly, "The meaning of life depends on the person and police brutality is never easy to explain because it doesn't make sense. Police shouldn't hurt people for no reason."

"I guess you're right."

"I'm always right."

~~~~

Dad was in a bad mood for some reason.

"Dad?", Mia asked coming into the kitchen.

"What?", dad sighed, his eyes on his phone.

"I'm hungry. Can we get something to eat?"

"There's food in the fridge."

"Barely. We haven't been to the store in a week."

"I'll take you to get something.", I said getting up. Dad looked up,

"No you won't. She isn't going anywhere, she's grounded."

"Grounded!? For what?", Mia asked.
He sighed, handing her a paper. "So, you weren't gonna talk to me about this? You were just gonna be angry and let me walk on eggshells?"

"I was angry."

"I got that part. You could have said why you were upset with me and explained that you were too upset to talk about it."

"You're right. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry I winged my test."

"Good."

"Can you just spank me? I hate being grounded." He sighed,

"Mia I just- I'm still really upset with you."

"I'll do it.", I shrugged.

"What?", Mia whispered. Dad nodded,

"Good idea. Then we'll all go get dinner."

"But you've never-"

"I know. But you trust me, right?" She nodded. "Okay then." I got up and gently led her back to my room, sitting on the bed, "Come're." Mia hesitated but let me put her over my lap,

Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack!

I stopped, pulling her up and hugging her.

"I'm sorry.", she sniffled.

"It's alright. You're forgiven. You okay?" She nodded. I'd never actually done that. I just followed what dad's done to me before.

"I love you."

"I love you too kiddo."