18

Alex's P.O.V.

Maria called me at the end of the day.

"Yeah?", I answered.

"Hey. Is it okay if I stay with dads tonight?"

"Of course."

"Thanks. I don't think I'll be at school tomorrow either. I just- I just need to be with my other family for a bit."

"Okay. You can stay with then as long as you need but you can't miss more than two days of school. Got it?"

"Yeah. Thanks Alex."

"No problem. How'd the appointment go?"

"I got my first sonogram. I'm about three weeks along." She paused, "I was really thinking about getting rid of it, but I-I just- I saw the baby- my baby- and I can't. It doesn't matter what happened, it's my baby. I can't just get rid of it."

"I thought you'd say that. Either way, I'm on your side kiddo."

"I know. I really appreciate it."

"It's no problem. I like having a bunch of kids who are only sometimes my responsibility." She laughed a little,

"Probably for the best." She paused, "I should go. Thank you."

"Anytime." She hung up as my phone rang again, Max. "Yes?", I answered.

"Can I ask a kinda big favor?"

"Of course."

"Maria is staying with dads tonight and I kinda want to too. Do... you think you could maybe drive me?"

"Of course. I'm on my way."

~~~~

"I know it's kinda stupid. I just missed them.", Max said as we drove off campus. I shook my head

"It's not stupid. You're still a kid and even when you're grown, you can still miss your parents. They've been away for a long time."

"I love Maria and I've moved from being angry about what happened to being happy and supportive of her and the baby. But I didn't know dads were coming back either. I know she's the concern right now and she should be I just- I've barely gotten to see them because they're so focused on Maria. They're my dads too. I can't get knocked up and be the center of attention." I laughed a little as he sighed, "I know I sound like an ass. She needs them more than me right now and I should be able to just leave it be. I just- I never know when they'll leave again. I know they say they're staying for good but they've said that before. I'm being selfish I just miss them."

"I don't think you're being selfish. At all. The haven't paid a lot of attention to you and you need it just as much as Maria. Yes, her and the baby are a concern right now but you should be a concern too. They've been away from you just as long as her."

"Yeah but she has a lot more going on."

"I guess so. But prioritizing is different than ignoring. They can prioritize Maria for a few days but they still need to check on you too. And you need to tell them that. Tell them you understand Maria is a priority with everything going on but that you feel left out."

"Okay. I will." I stopped in front of the apartment building,

"C'mon. I'll walk you up." We got out and went inside, up to the seventh floor and down the hall.

"Dads?", Max called walking into an apartment.

"Hey. What're you doing here?", Harley asked coming in. Max glanced at me as I nodded.

"I... understand Maria is a priority right now and she should be... but I feel really left out of our family. I know you said you're staying but you've said that before. I never know how long you guys will actually be here or be gone and I don't wanna miss hanging out with my family because I'm not a priority." Harley stopped for a second,

"Baby I'm so sorry." Tyler came into the entry way,

"Hey kiddo. We didn't know you were coming over."

"That's my point.", Max whispered. Harley looked to Tyler,

"We're prioritizing Maria and leaving Max out of everything."

"We didn't mean to do that kid. But Maria has to be a priority for a minute."

"I-I know she does. But you're my dads too and I feel like you're just gonna leave again and it'll be us alone and I'm not ready for that responsibility especially with a baby around. I'm excited and I know she needs more attention now I just- does she need all of it?"

"They're smothering me.", Maria sighed coming in, "Please god convince them to leave me alone for ten minutes.", she rolled her eyes.

"I miss being smothered.", Max said quietly. Harley looked down at him sadly,

"Come're Maxy.", he said hugging him, "We're really sorry. We never meant to leave you out of everything and ignore you. We're sorry." Tyler nodded, joining the hug,

"We are. And we really are staying for a long time now. Especially with a baby on the way."

"I hope so. I really missed you guys."

"We missed you too."

~~~~

"I missed you.", Mia said hugging me as I walked in. I chuckled,

"I was only gone for an hour love."

"I know. I still missed you. It's boring when I'm here alone."

"I would suggest hanging out with Tony but he's still grounded. Rightfully so."

"I know, I know. Thanks for un-grounding me."

"No problem. If you were grounded, I couldn't do anything either and that really is boring."

"Can we go get frozen yogurt?"

"Only if we can stop by the book store."

"Deal."

~~~~

I answered Jake's phone call early saturday morning,

"Hey kid. How's it going?"

"Uhh, okay. So y'know how you love surprises?"

"No not really but okay.", I laughed a little, "Why?"

"Because I'm about an hour from campus."

"Really!? That's a good surprise!"

"Well I have another surprise with me that I'll explain when I get there."

"Okay... Wait, don't you have classes?" He paused,

"Well that's kind of another surprise. I... am done. Graduation is at the end of November."

"What!? But you have a year left!"

"I got so far ahead I had all my credentials. I'm moving back home too. I'll find an apartment in the city or-"

"No you'll move in here until you find a job and a place to go."

"Okay. But you might change your mind after my surprise."

"Can you hurry up and get here? Now I'm curious."

"Are you encouraging me to to speed and break traffic laws?"

"Of course not. I'm encouraging you to time travel."

"I will get right on that dad."