34

Alex's P.O.V.

"No you don't.", Mia scoffed, "You can't lie to me. You don't have autism."

"Why? Because I don't act autistic?"

"No because-", she stopped.

"Exactly kid." I sighed, "Listen, y'know those days when I get all on edge and kinda spastic?" She nodded. "Or times when I come off as angry and snappy?"

"Yeah."

"Sometimes that stuff is because I have autism. It makes me be overly anxious or panicked by small things that shouldn't bother me. I have medication that helps, but a bad day is a bad day. And then after I have my little moment, I feel really bad because I know I can really hurt people when I'm like that. You do the same thing love. You have your little... ticks... kinda. Just like me."

"Like what?"

"Like... I only like cubed ice. Ever. And I don't like lotions. They freak me out." She laughed a little. "You don't like the wind. Or feathers. Or... memory foam stuff. They all just freak you out. Just because you don't 'act autistic' does not mean you don't have autism. You're what's called high functioning and it's pretty easy to control. I'm high functioning too and I run a whole campus and raise you guys on top of so much more and it normally doesn't effect any of that. Right?"

"I guess so."

"Sweets, I'll take you to any doctor you want, but changing the person will not get rid of the diagnosis. Okay?" She nodded,

"Can-Can I go to one more? Just to make sure?"

"Of course baby."

~~~~

"Are you okay?", I asked Allison in the car, "You're acting weird. Like... really spaced out and stuff."

"Yeah I-I'm kinda messed up."

"What? What'd you mean?"

"I-I think I'm high." I sighed, pulling into a parking lot,

"What do you mean you think you're high?" She took a few deep breaths,

"I-I was hanging out with some people and they had these gummy things and they were laughing and stuff and offered me one and I said no and then they kept pressing and stuff and I was like okay whatever and now I feel really weird." I let out a breath,

"Allison you know better than to just take food or anything from people you don't know!"

"I just- I didn't think they'd do that or it'd hurt me."

"Haven't you ever heard of stranger danger? You're sixteen Alli."

"I was homeschooled in a small town. We didn't have strangers."

"You should still know this stuff kid."

"I know!", she snapped, "I-I know I should know not to talk to strangers or-or to avoid certain people and not assume everyone is nice but I don't, okay? I don't."

"I didn't mean to belittle you kiddo. I'm sorry.", I said softly.

"I'm sorry I snapped."

"It's okay. Everyone does sometimes and you're not in the best mindset. I definitely cannot take you to the dentist like this. So let's go home, you can chill out and take a nap until this wears off."

"A-And then what?"

"And then we'll discuss your punishment."

~~~~

A few hours later, Allison was down.

"I need you over the bed this time.", I said softly as I went into her room. Her eyes widened as I started to take off my belt,

"B-But you don't do it like th-that."

"Normally, no. But you made a big mistake kiddo. Bigger mistakes call for bigger consequences."

"O-Okay.", she whispered. I crouched in front of her,

"Hey, you alright?" She nodded,

"I messed up. It's my fault. I'm fine." She forced a nervous laugh, "I-I've been hit like this before, I don't know why I'm freaking out."

"Because it's never been by me. This is a new thing and a big jump but it's needed, okay?" She nodded, wringing her hands together. "Calm down sweets."

"I-I can't feel my h-hands. Is-Is that normal?" I smiled a little,

"It's okay. You're just panicking a little."

"Oh. W-Why?" I chuckled,

"I'm not sure kiddo. I'm not in your head. But I'm sure it's because this is new and you're nervous or a little scared. But I'm not gonna hurt you. Ever."

"I know."

"Can we get this over with?" She nodded, reluctantly laying over the bed as I stood and took off my belt,

WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!

I stopped and put my belt back on,

"All done. Good job baby." Alli curled up in her bed, sniffling a little. I sat next to her rubbing her back, "You did good kiddo. I forgive you. I love you."

"I-I love you t-too dad."

Allison's P.O.V.

"Dad, c'mon.", I heard Mia say from the hallway. I got up, stumbling through my dark room to the door. Mia was leading dad into his room, who was clearly plastered.

"Mia?"

"I've got it.", she snapped. I hesitated but went back into my room, sitting on the bed. What if this was normal? What if this was an every night thing that he stopped when I came but now I've been here long enough he can go back to normal? What if it's not the best place for me?

~~~~

Dad didn't get up until almost eight the next day, three hours past when he normally meets me in the living room.

"Good morning.", he said sitting next to me with a bowl of oatmeal.

"Morning.", I muttered.

"Did I wake you up last night?", he asked softly.

"No.", I lied.

"Good. I really don't drink like that often Alls. I promise." I nodded. Promises didn't mean shit until you could prove that they did. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. You're an adult."

"I still have responsibilities to uphold. It's not your guys's job to take care of me."

"Family takes care of each other."