17

Alex's P.O.V.

Liam smiled softly from the guest bed.

"Need anything?", I asked. He shook his head,

"No. Thank you for letting me stay here."

"Anytime. I'd much rather you be here than alone in your dorm room. Wake me up if you need anything, okay?" Three hours ago, this kid was on the floor of his dorm room sobbing when he called me wanting to kill himself.

"I will. Goodnight."

"Goodnight kiddo." I cracked the door and went to my room, where Mia was half asleep in my bed,

"Is he okay?", she yawned.

"He'll be fine kid."

"Good. I like Liam. He's funny."

"I do too. He's a good kid."

"Why are you always so nice to people?"

"Because I grew up in a world where people weren't always nice to me."

"Me too."

"Then you understand. You're a nice person too. People who have been treated badly go one of two ways; they try to help others and show them the kindness they never saw, or they become the abuser."

"Why do people do the second one?"

"Sometimes they angry. They want someone to pay for what happened, even if that person wasn't responsible or even alive for it. They need to control things and they think what happened made them stronger and that they're doing others a favor."

"It didn't make me stronger at all. It gave me trust issues and made me sad."

"Me too love. Everyone works differently."

"They shouldn't."

~~~~

I laid Mia's clean laundry on her bed, a card on the floor catching my eye. I picked it up and went to place it on her dresser but the label caught my eye,

Planned Parenthood

Fuck.

"Hey Mia?", I called.

"Yeah?", she asked walking in.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Why?" She didn't seem off in the slightest. I slowly passed her the card as she froze, "Oh. Where did you find that?"

"I was not going through your things. I put your laundry down and it was on the floor."

"It's not mine.", she said, putting it on the dresser and starting to fold and put away her clothes.

"Mia, I won't be upset. I wanna go with you and support you-"

"Dad. It isn't mine. The appointment is not for me."

"You swear you'd tell me if it was?"

"Of course. I couldn't go through that alone."

"Good. Then... who's is it?" She paused,

"It-It's Maria's. And it's a long story."

~~~~

Maria, Ashlyn and Mia walked out into the waiting room as me and the boys stood up. Maria stopped, smiling softly,

"What are you all doing here?"

"Supporting you.", Luca shrugged. Sebastian nodded,

"It's what family does."

"So?", I asked. She nodded a little, swallowing hard,

"I-I'm pregnant." We all nodded.

"Let's go get dinner. On me." Everyone left the clinic after I talked to the receptionist and told her to charge everything for Maria to my card. She didn't have money and she shouldn't have to worry about it. I walked out of the clinic, finding the others standing outside the door as Max and Maria hugged two men.

"Ria, why are you at a Planned Parenthood?", one of the men asked, tucking her hair behind her ear. She peered down,

"I-I'm pregnant." The men glanced at each other as Max looked from me to them, slightly panicked,

"It wasn't her fault. Don't be mad."

"We're not mad kid.", the other man said, petting his hair. His eyes stopped on me, "Oh. Hi. I'm Tyler."

"Alex.", I said shaking his hand.

"Harley.", the other man said as I did the same, "No offense, but who are you? I recognize you but I don't understand why you and my daughter are in a clinic."

"I'm the headmaster. Your daughter is in my class that's become rather close this year. We're a family and we weren't gonna let her go through this alone."

"Alex has helped me a lot this year.", Maria said softly, "I don't wanna leave here. I'm doing good here."

"No, sweetie. That's not what we were thinking.", Tyler said softly. Harley nodded,

"Work is on hold for the moment and we're gonna stay here. You can still go to school here and live here if you want, but now we're ten minutes away." He paused, looking to Max, "For both of you."

"You don't have to do that. I'll be okay." Tyler shook his head,

"We know. We want to. We really miss you kids and we wanna get to know the people you consider family."

"You guys should join us for dinner.", I suggested, "My treat."

"We'd love to."

~~~~

"So did you tell them?", I asked Maria. She sighed, cleaning off the windows in my classroom as I swept,

"No. I just- Dad has asked me once and I said I didn't want to talk about it. Thankfully, they're really good at respecting that. I'm sure he just assumes the father is a scumbag-"

"He is."

"Well, yeah. But differently." She paused, "I just- I know they're supportive and I'm so grateful for that, but part of them broke when I told them and it'd kill them if I told them the truth."

"I know. But you need to. I would want to know if it was Mia. Yeah, I'd be mad and broken and I'd want to do absolutely anything to fix it. But I'd want to know and your dads deserve to know too."

"Know what?", I heard Harley ask. I looked up as him and Tyler came in,

"You have an appointment in an hour. Remember?", Tyler said. She nodded,

"Yeah. Yeah." She went to grab her stuff and leave but they blocked her path,

"What do you need to tell us?", Tyler demanded. She glanced at me as I nodded.

"Sit.", she sighed. They sat at a desk as I stood next to Maria, "The father is in jail."

"What?"

"Why?", Harley asked after Tyler. She paused for what seemed like forever,

"He-He raped me.", she whispered, "Alex found out about the appointment but I was gonna tell them all anyways. He brought it up before class and I broke and told him everything. He got the kid expelled and arrested by the end of the day."

"Good. We're gonna be late love. We'll talk more tonight, okay?", Harley said gently leading her out. Tyler stood up, shaking my hand,

"Thank you. I'm really grateful someone is watching out for our kids when we aren't around."

"She's my kid too in a way. I'd want someone to protect my kid the same."

"We would."