41

Mia's P.O.V.

"I love you. I'm really proud of you.", I said as dad came into the house. He hugged me tightly,

"Thanks babygirl. I love you too. Lindsey's okay. Her dad is coming to get her."

"Good." I paused, "That's a really lonely spot to be in. I'm really happy you helped her."

"Me too. But I could save a million kids from jumping off buildings and it would never make up for not saving you."

"I'm right here. You're taking care of me now."

"I know. It's my favorite job."

"Can-Can I ask you something?", I asked, following him to the living room. He flopped back on the couch, nodding,

"Of course. C'mere." I sat next to him as he held me tightly, taking a few deep breaths as he relaxed, "What's up love?"

"Two questions."

"Okay.", he chuckled.

"Why do you calm down when you hold me?"

"Because I went a whole day not knowing exactly where you were and what was happening and now I do. Now I know you're safe. Now I know you're okay. Nothing calms me down more than knowing exactly where my kids are and that everyone is alright."

"Oh. That makes sense." I paused, "Why-Why did you find me? Like... why were you there?"

"I was coming to fix things. I-I guess I was a little late.", he forced a laugh, "I'd called you for dinner three times that week. And gone to tuck you into bed and made your lunch and everything. Jake said I needed to fix it and I guess it just made it obvious that I really did. But I was too late."

"You're fixing it now. It is fixed."

"It's not. But we're getting there love."

~~~~

"Do you ever miss Allison?", I asked Jake. He shrugged,

"A little. But we were never close really. Not like you and I are." I nodded a little. "Do you?"

"No. I know that sounds mean, but I don't."

"I get it. It's not mean, it's being honest.", he shrugged, "Sometimes the truth is harsh."

"So deep and wise. Like a dad."

"I am a dad."

"Oh yeah. Sometimes I forget."

"Babe?", Zayn called. Jake lit up, jumping off his bed,

"Zayn!"

"Jake!", Zayn cheered as they hugged. I rolled my eyes,

"Who are you dating again?"

"You, my love.", Zayn said kissing me softly as Jake fake vomited.

"You're just jealous your sister has a better love life than you.", I joked.

"I think I'm asexual.", Jake blurted out before his eyes got wide, "I-I don't know why I told you that-"

"Because I'm your sister?", I scoffed, "You're supposed to tell me stuff. And I kinda thought you might be. You also might just not be focussing on relationships at this point in your life."

"Yeah, you do have a kid too.", Zayn said. I nodded,

"Not that there's anything wrong with you being asexual. You're my brother, that's all I care about." He smiled, hugging me tightly,

"Good 'cause I'm scared to tell dad."

"Why?", I laughed, "Dad!" He came out of the kitchen,

"Yeah sweets?"