35

Mia's P.O.V.

Beck looked down at me, clearly disappointed as he passed me my test. I held my breath as I flipped it over, sinking down at the 'F' on the front. Literally zero percent. Zayn is gonna kill me. Hell, so is dad. At least that'd be something normal.

"Mia, homework?", Beck pressed, clearly having asked before. Fuck.

"I-I don't have it."

"Why not?", he sighed.

"I-I just-"

***

"I'll be right back."

"Dad I really need your help. I don't understand this."

"I know. I just need to find Lily.", he said rushing out.

***

"I forgot. I'm sorry.", I finished. He sighed,

"Kid, that's the third time this week. I have to give you detention.", he said handing me a slip of paper. I nodded a little. "Sorry kiddo." I shrugged,

"It's my fault."

~~~~

"You ready?", dad asked as I packed my things.

"I have detention and then Zayn wants to take me to dinner."

"Oh. O-Okay. Just be home by eleven or text me."

"Yeah.", I muttered, trying to leave.

"Hey, wait." I reluctantly stopped. "I'm really sorry about last night kid." I shrugged,

"It's whatever."

"No it's not. It's not your job to take care of me or deal with me when I'm like that. I should have thought about you guys and not myself. I really am sorry baby."

"It's fine. Can I go so I'm not in trouble for being late?"

"Yeah. I love you."

"Love you too." I bolted out of the classroom and practically jogged to the detention building, rushing into Ashton's 'office' five minutes late.

"You're-"

"Late.", I cut him off, "I know. Add it to the list Ashton.", I muttered, sitting on his couch.

"You look like shit kid." I handed him my slip,

"I'm aware. I just wanna go to Zayn's. Can we just do this?" He read the slip. His eyebrows knitting together,

"Homework? Again? Mia this is like... the sixth time this month."

"Yeah." He sighed, sitting next to me,

"What's going on kid? You look exhausted. When was the last time you ate anything?" I paused,

"Breakfast."

"Oh yeah? What'd you have?"

"A-" I stopped. What did I have? Did I eat breakfast? When was the last time I ate? "I don't know. Maybe I didn't eat breakfast. I-I don't really remember."

"Mia what's going on?" I paused,

"I needed help with homework last night but dad and Lily had a small fight so he went after her. He came back hours later, plastered. So I put him in bed but then I couldn't sleep."

"It's not your job to take care of him. I'm sorry he did that."

"It's fine. Family takes care of each other." I paused, "Besides I-I have to get used to handling more things with a baby on the way. Dad wont have as much time for us anymore."

"He'll make time eventually kid. I promise. And if he does get really busy or stressed, you know you can always come to me. You should have called me last night instead of trying to handle everything on your own."

"Sorry."

"No, it's okay. But next time something starts to overwhelm you or is out of your hands, call me. Please." I nodded,

"Okay. Thanks Ash."

Alex's P.O.V.

I looked up as Zayn walked into the living room,

"Oh hey. She said you were meeting her after detention." He sunk down,

"She has detention again?"

"Yeah."

"That's like the fourth time."

"Yeah." He looked at me, clearly confused,

"What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"You're not concerned. Or upset."

"Should I be?"

"You seriously don't think something's wrong with her? She hasn't been doing her work or eating or sleeping. She's not okay Alex. And you honestly don't seem to care."

"Of course I care Zayn. I-I just didn't notice I guess."

"You should have." He sighed, "I think she should stay with me for a few nights."

"If she wants to, I guess that's fine."

"You should go talk to Landon." Landon was apparently my therapist now. "She hates it when you do this. And you promised it wouldn't happen again and now, here we are. Go talk to someone Alex. Neither of us can continue trying to adult you and each other when you're not feeling it. You can't have a baby when you pick and choose when you parent." I hesitated,

"We're not having a baby."

"W-What?", Zayn whispered, sitting down.

"Lily... she didn't tell me she couldn't have a baby. She was pregnant but she had a miscarriage and her doctor laid into her because she knew having a baby would kill one of them. She never told me that."

"I'm really sorry Alex."

"Sometimes bad things happen because they need to. I don't know that I could balance all my kids and a newborn."

"Maybe you're not good with babies. Or you can't raise a newborn without Lily. Maybe you're meant to... adopt. Or have a surrogate. You're really good at giving kids new opportunities and taking care of people who really need it. You're really good at being a dad and changing lives for the better. I'm really glad I'm dating Mia. Not just because I love her, because I love you. And your whole family. And I was really scared to be here without my dad or brothers because I really look up to them and now I really look up to you. I just- I can be independent, I just don't want to. I wanna have an adult just in case and you're really good at being that adult for a lot of kids." He paused, "But your kids have to come first. And you can't take care of them completely until you take care of yourself."

"I-I know. I'm really glad I'm your role model Zayn. Just... sometimes I shouldn't be."

"I can decifer those times and they don't happen often." He sighed, "You need to to see Landon. Then maybe go to Beck's for awhile or something. I'll stay here and keep an eye on the girls until you get back or I'll crash here."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Thanks Zayn."

~~~~

"Are you still mad?", Lily asked, sitting across from me.

"I was never mad love. I was worried and scared." I reached over, taking her hand, "I cannot lose you. Ever. We can still gave a baby but you cannot carry it. We can adopt or have a surrogate or whatever you want. But you can't carry a baby. I'm sorry love."

"I-I know. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's okay. But why didn't you?"

"I just- I thought I'd be fine. I felt better. But I guess not."

"Any other secrets I should know about?" She hesitated,

"One. But it-it's big."

"I wanna know."