22

Mia's P.O.V.

"Dad?"

"Yeah kid?", he asked sleepily.

"I can't sleep." He sat up in bed, clicking on the light,

"Tea or beach?"

"Both."

~~~~

"Did they tell you?", I asked as dad and I sat on the beach.

"I'm gonna need some elaboration.", he chuckled.

"That you were taking me in. When my parents died."

"They called me before they went in for the experiment. The doctor called me when it went wrong and I knew that meant I was in charge of you." He paused, "I'd never been responsible for anything. Not even a plant. I was more of a dictator here and didn't feel that I was responsible for the health or happiness of my students. So I treated you like my student, not my daughter. I'm really glad you snapped me out of that. I thought I was happy and my life was good because it was better than it'd been before. But it wasn't good and you made me realize how happy I could really be."

"Well I thought I had the best parents before you. That was not true."

"They never should have had a kid. But I'm so glad they did."

"Me too."

~~~~

"Dad I'm gonna be late!", I whined as he pulled me into the living room.

"We aren't going to school today."

"I have to. I have a quiz and stuff to do."

"Too bad. You can take it tomorrow and I'll take the fall if it goes bad." I sighed as we sat on the couch, "One of your teachers called me yesterday." My heart dropped,

"W-Why?"

"You tell me."

"I-I-I don't kn-know."

"With how you panicked I think you do which would mean you just lied to me too."

"I-I'm sorry. I really don't wanna tell you.", I whispered.

"Too bad. What happened?" I sighed a little,

"We had a pop quiz in english. I'm already doing really bad and I'm really confused and I panicked and-and cheated."

"I thought you learned last time Remia.", he growled. I nodded,

"I-I know. I'm really sorry." He sighed,

"They called me because there were blood stains on your sleeve. Show me your arms." I hesitated but slowly pulled up my sleeves, revealing the two shallow cuts on my left arm. "Mia why?"

"I was mad at myself for cheating. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I'll call Michael after your punishment." Jake stopped in the doorway,

"What's going on?"

"Nothing.", I whispered, "I messed up. Again."

"Mia-"

"Are you gonna hit me with that thing?", I asked dad. He hesitated,

"I should. I absolutely should."

"Absolutely not.", Jake said, "Do you not remember last time? Did you forget me coming down here to try and fix it? You're not hitting her with that. You can't."

"It's my fault Jake.", I whispered, "Just leave it alone. I deserve it. Just kill me this time."

"Mia don't ever say that again.", dad whispered, sitting next to me as Jake followed, "I-I'd never kill you. I could never. I'm not- I'm not hitting you. You're grounded for two weeks."