29

Alex's P.O.V.

"I'm sorry.", Mia whispered for about the hundredth time today.

"Why?", I asked rubbing her back. I stared up at the dark ceiling, hoping she would fall asleep soon.

"I just- I don't trust her. I don't mean to treat her so bad I just have a bad feeling."

"That's because you think I'll replace you and I won't. Ever. But, when you came and I got over my shit, you got a lot of my attention because you needed it. Liza will need a lot too. She'll need the discipline and structure that I gave you because she's never had it either. I know it doesn't seem that way, but you guys have a lot in common."

"I just feel like you're gonna get hurt."

"I'll be fine. But I don't want you hurt in the process."

"Just don't replace me, I'll be good."

"I won't. But she needs me too kiddo."

Mia's P.O.V.

I woke up freezing cold. I rolled over in dads bed, trying to pull the covers back but finding it impossible. I sat up a little, my eyes adjusting to the darkness as I realized why I was alone and without the blankets. Liza laid on the other side of dad, sleeping soundly on his chest. I paused, my heart beating hard. That was my spot. That's my dad. Bitch. I sighed a little before crawling out of bed and going to my room. The empty bed and cold floor made me wanna cry. I wasn't gonna be able to sleep.

~~~~

"Mia?" I jumped awake on the couch as dad came into the living room, "Did you sleep in here? Why'd you leave last night?" I paused. She needed him too.

"I-I- um- I just got up early and couldn't go back to sleep."

"Oh. Okay." He left as Liza said something about going down to her car.

"Dad I'm gonna go get coffee with Zayn.", I said throwing on a hoodie.

"Okay baby. Be careful."

"I will." I paused at the elevator for a minute, "Dad?"

"What?"

"I love you." He always said it first before I left.

"Oh. Yeah. I love you too kid." I hesitated again before going down to the carport.

"No, it's working." I stopped. Liza's voice, but not her accent. "No he's fucking loaded. And he loves me. I know. I know. Give me like two weeks. I'll come home when I can get enough out of him. Yeah. No he feels awful. I know! It's great. No I didn't fucking tell him. I'm not that dumb. He hasn't even suggested a test, he just took my word for it! Yeah. Okay. Love you too baby. Bye." I jumped back into the elevator and went back up to the apartment, almost tackling dad,

"Liza isn't your kid!" He sighed,

"Mia, please just stop."

"I heard her talking! She isn't yours and the accent is fake. She just wants your money."

"Mia enough!", he snapped, making me jump back, "I'm fucking done! I tried to be nice and understanding but you have to fucking stop! She's my kid and if you consider yourself my kid too, she's your sister. So chill the fuck out. I'm done. One more word about it and you'll be in a world of hurt young lady."

"Don't ever expect me to have your back again.", I whispered, grabbing my go bag from under the stairs, "I'm going to Zayn's."

"When will you be back?", he sighed.

"When she's gone."

~~~~

Dad cornered me at school on the third day of me being at Zayn's,

"Come home."

"No. I can't be around her. I refuse to sit back and watch you put effort into something fake. Into something that I know is going to kill you. Because you know who's gonna end up picking up the pieces? Me and Jake. So I'm done. Call me when I'm your only daughter. Your real daughter." I turned and stormed off, finding myself in the room Beck was subbing in.

"Hey. You look pissed.", he commented.

"Can I maybe crash with you a few days? Zayn and I are not ready to live together. I slept in Ashlyn's dorm last night."

"Yeah, of course. I love my favorite niece."

"I'm just glad I'm the only one."

~~~~

"Hey." Dad looked up from his desk,

"Hey! What's up?" We'd barely talked since I left almost two weeks ago.

"I um- I just thought you'd wanna know I-I haven't hurt myself in six months today." His eyes got a little wider,

"Mia that's incredible. I'm so fucking proud of you kid."

"Thanks.", I smiled a little. I hated this. I hated fighting. I hated feeling out of place with him. I hated her.

"How is everything?"

"Fine."

"I miss you."

"I miss you too."

"So come home. Please."

"Is she still there?"

"Mia we can figure it out-"

"No, I can't. It's not just that she's there. It's that you didn't believe me. You didn't trust me. So when you get hurt, I won't feel bad for you. I warned you. And it kills me to watch you throw effort into her when she's using you. Kills me. I can't do it. So if she's there, I'm not."

"And if she stays?" I paused,

"Then... Then I guess I'll go."

Alex's P.O.V.

"I could probably get a few thousand put of him.", I heard Liza's voice, just no accent.

"Liza?"

"Gotta go." She came out to the hall, smiling, "Hi dad!"

"Who was that?"

"Just an old friend. No biggie."

"What were you talking about?"

"Uhh- just some school stuff." I paused,

"I um- I set up a paternity test for tomorrow."

"You don't believe me?"

"I just have to know for sure. You understand, right?"

"But Mia isn't biologically yours and you're her dad. If I'm not, you won't be my dad."

"That's not necessarily true. It will depend on what has and will happen." Please don't let me lose both my girls.

~~~~

"You're sure?" He nodded,

"You... do have a daughter though. And her name us Allison Elizabeth. But that girl out there is Mary Anne, Allison's cousin."

"Fuck.", I muttered.

"Look Alex, can I give you some advice?"

"Please.", I laughed a little.

"Take Mary home. Take Mia with you and talk to her. She will eventually forgive you. When you get there, meet Allison. Be part of her life if she wants you there. Do not replace Mia but be there for Allison too. When you get back, please set up at least one therapy session. Please. Physically, you're great. But I'm really concerned about what's going on in your head." I nodded,

"Me too."