46

Alex's P.O.V.

"Do I really have to go?", Kaden whined. I chuckled,

"Yes Kaden. You can't stay here alone.", I said as I packed up his bookcase.

"I could."

"I'm not letting you. End of discussion kid." I dropped a book as it fell and something rattled inside of it. I picked it up and opened it, finding a hollow book with a vape in it. I sighed, "Kaden what the fuck is this?" He turned around and stopped,

"Uh I- it- um- it's a-an inhaler thing."

"Kaden I'm not that old. Don't lie to me."

"Technically I wasn't lying it just wasn't the whole truth.", he muttered.

"That's the same thing and you know it."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"How long have you been using this?"

"Like... a year or so."

"A year!? Kaden that's so much damage to your body. It ends now."

"I can't. I-I can't stop doing it Alex."

"You're addicted to it Kaden. It's gonna be hard as shit to quit but you are going to. End of story." He nodded a little, knowing he didn't really have a say. I sighed, "Go cut a switch."

"A-A what?"

"You don't know what a switch is?" He shook his head, his green eyes wide. "C'mon." I walked downstairs and out the backdoor as Kaden followed close behind. I went to a small tree, cutting off one of its branches, "You have to make sure you take off all the leaves and make it smooth or it'll hurt you worse. Typically, I'll use the switch however you bring it to me so if it's badly done, that's on you, okay?"

"Wait y-you're gonna hit me with that?"

"Yes. Did you see what I did?" He nodded. "Good. I want you to do one too so you know how if you ever need to. Hopefully you won't, but especially if you need to for someone else. I want you to know how to do stuff like this properly so you don't get hurt."

"Someone else? Wh-Who else would be hitting me?"

"We'll... talk about it later, okay?" He nodded a little bit, clearly uneasy. His eyes moved away from me nervously as he copied what I'd done with another branch. "Good job. Take this and wait upstairs. I'll be there in a minute."

"Yes sir."

~~~~

"Over the bed.", I said as I walled into Kaden's mostly empty room. He did as  I said as I picked up the switch, "You're getting ten. Stay still."

"Yes sir."

THWAP! THWAP! THWAP! THWAP! THWAP! THWAP! THWAP! THWAP! THWAP! THWAP!

I stopped as he stood back up, wiping his tears,

"A stupid stick shouldn't hurt that bad.", he pouted. I laughed a little, hugging him,

"I know. You did good. I forgive you."

"Who else can hit me?"

"Well..."

Kaden's P.O.V.

Not even two weeks into school, I found myself taking the elevator all the way up to Alex's office.

"Come in.", he called as I knocked on the door. He looked up as I walked in, sighing, "Are you fucking serious Kaden?"

"She started it."

"I literally do not give a shit. She's an adult, first off. And I really thought you were more mature than that."

"What did she tell you?"

"That you interrupted her lesson twice and then yelled at her."

"Do you want to know why I did those things?"

"So you're not even denying that you did?"

"Of course not. I totally did it." He let out a deep breath,

"Fine. Why?"

"Because she said she'd rather teach members of the KKK than a gay kid because 'at least they have morals'. So yeah, I kinda lost my shit."

"I will talk with her about that Kaden but if you're going to stand up for yourself or others- which I absolutely encourage- you have to learn to do it respectfully. And it's a really hard thing to learn. You're not in trouble for standing up for others, you're in trouble for being disrespectful." I nodded a little as he got up and went to a small closet, coming back with a heavy strap as I sunk into my seat. "Next time anything like this happens, I will send you to detention. You won't get special treatment."

"I don't want special treatment.", I snapped slightly.

"Kaden you're not ready for detention."

"You don't know what I'm ready for."

"Actually I do.", he snapped a little, "I've partially raised you for almost eight years Kaden. I know you and you're not ready. Detention would break you right now and I'm not doing that to you. Later, when you've caught on to how things work and are more settled here, you'll be alright. But right now there's too much happening and you're way to vulnerable to handle it. I know you and I mostly know what's best for you."

"What's the difference in you beating me or someone else?" He stopped,

"Beating you? Kaden I would never. And neither would anyone else here." He paused, "D-Do you really feel like I'm... abusing you? Because if so then that's something we need to fix above all else." I let out a deep breath, laying my head in my hands,

"No. No I-I'm sorry. I don't I just- I-I don't wanna get hit with that.", I forced a laugh.

"I know. But you're only getting three and then you can just hang out here for the last hour of school. It was this or something slightly less severe with way more."

"What?"

"Twenty with the cane. Which I can still get if-"

"No! N-No."

"I didn't think so. Over the desk." I hesitated but got up and did so, holding my breath,

WHACK!WHACK!WHACK!

Alex's P.O.V.

I let out a deep breath as I sat on the couch, closing my eyes. Before long, I could feel someone in the room with me. I looked up to find Mia in the doorway nervously,

"Sorry.", she whispered, blushing.

"Don't be. What's up?"

"Um- I-I uh- y-you said I could like... go out with friends and stuff as long as my homework was done, right?" I nodded, sitting up,

"Yeah, of course. So you made some friends?" She nodded, sitting next to me,

"The girls in seventh."

"Ashlyn and Maria?" She nodded. "They're good kids. Just be back by midnight, okay?" She nodded, hugging me,

"Thanks Alex." She bounced out of the room as Kaden slumped in,

"Alex?"

"What's wrong?"

"My-My dad just called me."

"Why?"

"He needs to talk to you."