48

Alex's P.O.V.

"He didn't react Alex.", Ashton whispered from the seat across from me, "I thought something was off but he'd never been before so I figured he was just on edge but I ended up doing half of my original plan because he just shut down. It wasn't him being a stubborn teenage boy, it was a panic response from trauma. And I don't condone that shit."

"I don't either. I'm sorry Ash. I was unsure if he was ready but if it'd been anyone else, that's what would happen and I didn't wanna treat him differently."

"I know. But it doesn't matter who it is. Some kids are just fucked up for life." The office door opened as Kaden stormed in, freezing when he saw Ashton. His eyes met his shoes as he seemed to shrink,

"I'm sorry. I didn't know someone was in here."

"It's okay kid. What's up?", I asked.

"I- can-can I sit in here for a minute? I-I'm just really mad and-"

"I got it kid. Thank you for coming in here before you did something you'd regret. You can hang out for a bit." He nodded, sitting on the couch slowly as Ashton sighed and stood up,

"I should get back."

"Yeah. Thanks Ashton."

"Anytime." He turned to Kaden, "Kid." He looked up a little. "I'm sorry about the other day. You weren't ready and I shouldn't have handled it like I did. You shut down as a defense mechanism and I should have stopped the second you did. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I deserved it."

"You deserved to be disciplined, not put back in a dangerous and unhealthy mindset." Kaden didn't answer as Ashton walked out.

"Why are you mad?", I asked. He shrugged,

"People are just irritating me today. Even Mia was kinda on my nerves and that never happens. Usually Justin calms me down but we aren't talking I guess." He stood up and shuffled over, crawling into my lap as I hugged him tightly,

"It'll work out kiddo. I promise. It just might take a bit."

~~~~

"Kaden what's wrong?"

"Can you just go the fuck away?", he snapped.

"No, I can't. But you can watch your fucking mouth before you eat soap young man. What's going on? Talk to me."

"I need you to go away!"

"Why?"

"Because all I wanna do is hit you!" I paused in his doorway,

"First, take some deep breaths. You know if you hit me you'll be in an insane amount of trouble. Second, tell me why you want to hit me. What did I do?" His tensed up body collapsed onto the bed as he started sobbing. I risked getting punched as I walked over and sat next to him, hugging him tightly.

"It-It's all y-your fault!", he sobbed.

"What's my fault?"

"Ju-Justin hates m-me because of-of you!" I sighed,

"Kiddo, I don't think he hates you. I think he's really scared of a lot of things and one of those is probably getting close to people. Have you tried talking to him?"

"He barely responds and won't text me back."

"I think you should just give him space for awhile baby." He sat up, wiping his tears,

"Can you go away?"

"You're still really angry and I'm not leaving you alone like that. Do you wanna go hit the punching bag in the gym? Or go for a run or something? We need to work out your anger issues Kaden. It's not gonna end well for you."

"None of it helps anymore. Justin calmed me down and I got used to it and now nothing works."

"So let's find something that does. What about a sport? Or martial arts? Or the play? What sounds interesting?" He shrugged. "Kaden, work with me kid. What interest you?" He hesitated,

"I-I wanna learn to do what Ashton does."

"I don't think you understand all of what he does Kaden. Ashton has taken a lot of time to work on himself to be able to do what he does. He has to be a hundred percent calm when he disciplines someone. And what he does can be really emotionally draining. I make him meet with me at least twice a week so I know if he's okay or if he's absorbing problems from these kids and clinging to them." I paused, "I'm sure Ashton would love to have a conversation with you about it, but you have to understand the last thing he does is use that to release anger."

"Will you ask him?"

"To talk to you about it?" He nodded. "I'd be happy too. Have you caned down now?" He nodded. "Good. See how talking things out can resolve problems?"

"Yeah."

"Let's go get dinner. Mia's out with Ashlyn and Maria."

~~~~

I smiled, spotting Lily across the courtyard.

"Lily?"

"I- Yes. Do I know you?", she laughed a little.

"No. Not yet." I paused, "This is gonna sound really strange, but I had this dream of our life together. And honestly you and your son made my life so incredible." She froze. "I'd love it if you let me take you out sometime."

"Any time. How did you know that?"

"He was in my dream too."

"I've never told anyone about him. Maybe it is fate."

"Well I sure think it is."

~~~~

Lily and I really clicked and moved fast after that. It wasn't long before her and Maverick moved into the apartment too.

"Mav catch.", Kaden said, throwing a ball to him. He caught it awkwardly, lighting up as Kaden smiled at him, "See? You could play."

"Not in the house you can't. Take it down to the beach boys.", I said.

"Fine fine."

"Dinner is in an hour. Be back in time, got me?" They nodded as Mia came bolting into the room,

"I'm coming too! You promised you'd teach me how to throw a football." Kaden sighed,

"You're right. C'mon, let's go."