14

Mia's P.O.V.

"Mia, what did you get?", Mr. Nichols asked, pulling me from my bubble.

"I- um- I-I got seven. Judging by other answers, I'm assuming it's wrong."

"All of your answers should be fractions or decimals." I nodded a little,

"Then all of mine are wrong.", I snapped. He raised his eyebrows,

"Mia, it's nothing to get worked up and rude about. We'll go over it again today and if you still don't understand, I'll help you okay?" I nodded a little, staring blankly at my paper. Stupid.

~~~~

"Mia- what are you doing?", dad asked as he walked into my room. I looked up from the many scattered papers and books,

"Studying."

"For what? You don't have a test tomorrow."

"I'm just dumb." He stopped before sighing,

"That shit is gonna start putting you over my knee young lady." I peered down. "Mr. Nichols called me. He's worried about you."

"I just don't understand anything. I'm sorry. Ashton tried to help and so did Nichols I'm just- I'm just not smart."

"You are smart. Math is not your strong suit, no. But you can draw incredibly. You have an amazing voice. Like a siren." I laughed. "You could lure men to their death like that.", he said snapping his fingers. I laughed again,

"Thanks."

"Drowning in notes and homework and books isn't helping you. It's not how you learn. This is just stressing you out and you're already stressed. He said you snapped at him and you never do that."

"I-I'm sorry. I got frustrated with myself and took it out on him. I really like Mr. Nichols, I try to be nice to him. I just snapped."

"It's okay, he wasn't bothered by it. He was just worried about you." I nodded. "Is something going on?"

"No." He looked at me sternly,

"I'm really disappointed in you." I peered down. "Ashlyn talked to me today. Said you were stressed out about a boy? You can talk to me about that stuff. Or not. But lying to me is unacceptable."

"I'm sorry dad."

"I'll let it slide once. If you talk to me." I sighed,

"Zayn Killian." He seemed to freeze at the name,

"Okay... what about him?"

"I like him. A lot. And we flirt and stuff I just- he probably does it with everyone-"

"He's nice to you?" I nodded. "Love, Zayn Killian has a rep of kinda being a dick. He's never flat out mean unless someone disrespects him, but he's very... emotionless... he doesn't have many friends, he keeps to himself, he's kinda scary to most people. He's not a bad guy, he gets good grades and anytime I've spoken to him, he was polite and respectful."

"He's really nice to me." Dad shrugged,

"Talk to him. Ask him out. It's the twenty first century babe, tell him you like him and wanna go out. The worst he can say is no."

"And call me a desperate freak."

"Theoretically, yes. But you aren't and I can't see him doing that."

"I hope not." Dad sighed,

"Let's go watch a movie." I got up and followed him to the living room, flopping onto the couch next to him,