28

Alex's P.O.V.

"Max." He kept his eyes on the floor,

"I wasn't, okay? I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry." I sighed,

"I will handle this and then we'll call your dads."

"Please don't." He paused, "I'm-I'm not trying to get out of this, I know I messed up. But Maria is their priority now. Just like before. I don't wanna bug them because I'm stupid. Can't you just handle it and leave it at that? Please?"

"Is that why you did this? To try and get their attention?" He nodded a little bit,

"But then I got caught and-and I realized they won't do anything and it'll just stress them out. It won't change anything. They'd lecture me and ground me or something and then go right back to Maria. It was a dumb thing and a dumb idea. I'm just dumb."

"Hey, you're not dumb Max. You made a dumb choice, yes, but you are not dumb. We... don't have to call them this time. But I really want you to tell them."

"Not now. Maybe once the baby is here. They might chill out a little."

"I hope so. It's really fucking you up." He nodded a little,

"Can-Can we just get this over with? I wanna go take a nap." I nodded,

"Yeah. But I don't want you alone right now. You can come back to our apartment to nap."

"Okay but I'm fine."

"You're not."

~~~~

"Why is Max asleep on the couch?", Mia asked coming into the kitchen.

"He had a pretty rough day. I didn't want him alone in his dorm room."

"Oh. Is he okay?"

"His dads kinda went back to ignoring him and prioritizing Maria."

"She's pregnant.", she said before pausing, "Not that it justifies it, but it makes sense."

"Yeah I guess. But there's not much to do right now with her. We have a few months before the baby comes and she's in the pretty boring months of pregnancy. All we can do is back off and make sure she doesn't need anything. This would be their time to give Max all the attention before the baby comes and they aren't. And it's really fucking with him."

"I know. Maria feels really bad too. They barely even talk and it's messing with her too."

"Max probably feels like he can't be mad at their dads so he's mad at her. It'll work out eventually."

"I hope so."

~~~~

The doorbell chimed as Mia and Jake looked to me, clearly confused,

"What was that?", they both asked.

"The doorbell?"

"We have a doorbell?", Mia asked. I chuckled,

"Yes? If you take the stairs from the ninth floor up here, we have a door in the kitchen. It's for emergencies or if someone doesn't have the code. But I don't know who wouldn't have it at this point.", I muttered, going to the kitchen door. I opened it to find a young girl in the hall,

"Hi. Are you Alex James?"

"I am. And you are...?"

"My mama's Allison Elizabeth. But everyone calls me Liza."

"Nice to meet you. What can I do for you?" She hesitated,

"I'm... your daughter." I paused,

"Why don't you come inside? I'm gonna need some elaboration."