6

Mia's P.O.V.

"A black card?", the lady at the register asked, looking at the credit card. She froze, "This isn't yours."

"I know but-"

"You must have stolen it! Security!" Two guards bolted in, putting me in cuffs before I could process what was happening.

"Let me go!"

"No. I'm calling headmaster. I don't know how you stole this but he'll make sure you never make it here. He'll-"

"What's going on?" I looked up as Ashton cane into the store, "Mia? What did you do?"

"She stole the headmaster's credit card.", the lady said.

"No she didn't.", Alex boomed, walking in, "Get her the hell out of those cuffs." The guards quickly did so. "Are you okay?", he asked me. I nodded. He handed his card back to me, "Go on. I'll handle this."

"Thanks Alex.", I said hugging him as the whole store seemed to still.

"See you at home.", he said nudging me towards the door with he girls, "Behave. All of you."

"Yes sir.", we chimed.

~~~~

I walked in from the elevator at almost 7:15.

"I hope you have a great explanation young lady.", Alex called. I went into the living room, setting my many bags on the couch. I handed him his card back,

"I'm sorry. We went to dinner and it took a long time and then I couldn't remember how to get back and my phone died."

"Next time, find a payphone or use someone else's. And next time you're out after dark, call me and I'll drive you. All of you."

"Okay Al." I sat next to him, "Am I in trouble?"

"I will let it slide this time. I think we both had a good day and I don't want to end it on a sour note."

"Thanks." He nodded a little. "I'm... sorry about what I called you in the store." He shrugged,

"It's about time the truth came out. I feel better knowing people won't freak out on you like what happened today. They'll know to respect you like they respect me."

"I like being respected."

"You should be respected. Always. But that doesn't mean you can walk all over people or disrespect others."

"I know."

"Good."

"I'm really glad you've been yourself in class lately. It's helped everyone."

"I just realized things went wrong before with you and they got better when I stopped my fake shit. So I tried it in class and it worked too."

"It's always better to be yourself."

~~~~

"Breathe.", Ashton said softly, crouching in front of me, "I haven't even hit you yet kiddo."

"A-Alex said he-he would always handle it f-first. He's so a-angry Ashton."

"He will calm down and get over it. He always does."

"He hates me."

"He does not. You mean a lot to him kiddo. I promise he doesn't hate you."

"He already did."

~~~~

After two days of Alex not speaking to me at all, I couldn't take it anymore. I went to his room, pausing at the closed door before knocking. I hadn't knocked in a long time.

"Come in.", Alex called. I'd almost forgotten his voice honestly. I walked in and hovered by the door as he looked up from whatever he was reading, "What?"

"I-I just wanted to apologize.", I whispered, "For everything." I glanced at him but he just stared at me. "Do I need to find a ride?"

"A ride? You're not going anywhere for a very long time young lady. Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm leaving. You don't want me anymore." He blinked a few times,

"How could I not want you anymore? You made a mistake, you're still my kid." I froze,

"I-I can stay?"

"Of course. You're not leaving." My knees wobbled as I fell to the floor sobbing, everything from the past few days coming out at once. "Shit. Hey, calm down.", Alex said softly, sitting next to me and pulling me to his chest, "It's okay."

"I-I-I thought you ha-hated me."

"I could never kid. Ever. I'm so sorry. I was too upset to punished you but I never should have ignored you like that."

"Are you still mad?"

"No. Not at all." He helped me up and to his bed, sitting next to me, "Why did you hit her?"

"She sent a picture of herself to a bunch of boys and said it was me. It wasn't. I'd never do that Alex. I brought it up to her and told her to stop and she slapped me so I hit her back. I should have walked away or told you and I'm sorry." He nodded a little,

"I forgive you. Next time, I'll handle it and you won't like it. I will handle the girl." I nodded, pausing,

"You... said I was your kid."

"You basically are Mia." I smiled a little, laying my head on his chest,

"Hey Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Why do you always forgive me so easily? I always expect you to be really mad and hate me."

"I rarely ever get mad. I know it seems like I do, but I don't. I get really sad when you make big mistakes. It makes me feel like I'm messing up and you're going down the wrong path. Forgiving you helps you realize I'm still here when you mess up and I'm still gonna take care of you. I could never ever hate you."

"You're not messing up. I'm sorry I make so many mistakes."

"You really don't. It's just, when you do, they're pretty big."

"I think I get all this pent up rebellion and let it out all at once."

"Well can you space it out a little?" I laughed,

"I'll do my best."

~~~~

Alex stood in the doorway of my bedroom,

"Need anything?"

"Nope."

"Okay. Goodnight. I love you." I froze,

"What?"

"I-I said goodnight. See you in the morning.", he said quickly leaving. I laid in bed for a bit. Did he mean that? I mean, he did say I was like his kid earlier. That honestly meant a lot to me. But does he really love me? I didn't know Alex could love anyone really.

'Cut'

Go away.

'Do it bitch. Do it. Just-'

I got up and went to Alex's room, standing in the open door. He looked up from the T.V.,

"Yeah kiddo?"

"Can I stay in here for a bit?"

"Of course. Any particular reason?"

"The voices are back a little. I just don't wanna be alone."

"Thank you for coming to me sweetheart.", he said as I crawled into bed next to him.

"I don't wanna let you down."

"You don't. It just makes me sad baby." I nodded a little, laying my head on his chest,

"Hey Alex?"

"Yes?"

"I love you too."