Tryouts

Chapter 15

It didn't take the siblings long to finish breakfast. Kris made sure to lock the door as they left, but Zack was in such a good mood that he picked her up and tossed her over his shoulder so he could run to the station. By the time he let her down, her face was red, and she was having to fight to keep from yelling. It was only the strange looks they were getting that made her only push him onto the train instead. When she watched him bounce in his seat from his excitement, her ire fell away, and she smiled. She didn't let him see it, though. Every time he looked back at her, she glared at him. She may have understood his enthusiasm, but she didn't have to let him know he was off the hook for his stunt already.

When they made it to the building, the receptionist smiled at Zack's grin as she directed them to the 49th floor. There was a Soldier in a blue uniform waiting by the elevator that led them to the room the try-outs were in. He gave her a funny look, but when she explained why she was there, he smiled and directed her to an observation room that overlooked the place the tests would be held. She gave Zack a hug and wished him luck before she headed up to watch.

She was not the only person there, but there weren't many. She found out that it wasn't uncommon for boys from villages across the world to come alone. Especially as some of them had been scouted by the Turks. Something about that news made her head hurt as a memory tried to surface, but it was gone quickly. She didn't have time to worry about it either, as it wasn't long before the tests started.

Zack had a hard time sitting through the first part of the tests as it was written. It wasn't that it was difficult at all, but he couldn't sit still. He was so glad when the last paper was retrieved that he almost let out a whoop. He stopped just in time when an older Soldier walked into the room. The dark-haired man spoke to the one that had administered the test before he walked to the front of the room and addressed them all. "I know many of you have come from far and wide to prove that you are fit candidates for Soldier. Today we will see how many of you can make it into Shinra's elite. Know now that it is not easy and will never be easy. If you are still interested, line up to the right."

None of the boys hesitated to line up. The man smiled at them before he moved to the front of the line. He towered above all of them, so it was no issue for him to yell and be heard, even at the back of the line. "First, we'll test your stamina. Follow me."

At that, he turned and started running. Zack had been practicing for years with Kris, and the trip from Gongaga to Midgar had only honed his skills. The jog was set at a comfortable pace, but it seemed to go on for hours. He allowed his mind to roam as he followed the bear of a man in front of him. He had lost count of the number of laps when he finally realized the color of the man's uniform and what it meant. They were being tested by one of the Firsts. Zack's excitement at the realization nearly made him speed up, but he got a few glares from his peers and stepped back into line.

By the time the jog was called to a halt, nearly half the boys had dropped out. Zack felt bad as they all slouched out, but he didn't have time to worry about it as the First quickly had them on to something else. The next tests were all designed to observe their stamina, speed, and agility. By the time they were done, the original group was down to less than ten. Zack was winded, but he was still too excited to let it get to him. He was one of the few left, and he planned on being remembered.

At that point, the man turned to the remaining boys with an evaluating eye. He let them get some water and rest for a few minutes as he explained what came next. "You have all shown great resilience, but now we get to see if you have any grit for combat. For today only, I'll let you pick your weapon, and you can show me what you're made of."