Next Steps

Chapter 61

Kris had no idea how long it was that Genesis sat there and held her. She had seen Zack come closer, but despite her smile in his direction, he stopped a short distance away. She hoped they would both find a way to get past this soon. She needed her brother now more than ever, she just had to learn to keep the past in the past.

When both Sephiroth and Angeal finally returned, Kris stood to face them. She had no doubt that they had questions, and she wasn't wrong. Sephiroth gave Angeal a quick pat on the shoulder before the Commander sighed and turned to face Kris. He was frowning when he finally spoke. "I only have one question for you."

She raised a brow at him. He nodded when he noticed it and continued. "I know this might be hard, so just tell me if you can't answer."

Genesis growled next to her, but she put a hand on his arm. She looked up with a smile before she wrapped her arm around his and turned back to Angeal. She had no doubt that this was going to be hard, but as long as Genesis was by her side as a reminder of the present and future, she felt she could face it. She swallowed before she could answer. "I understand. What did you need to ask?"

Angeal still looked uncomfortable, but he spoke anyway. "Earlier, when Genesis was talking to Tseng in the dining room. You stopped him and said you didn't want him to act. Were you talking about- well, I mean, was that about what you just told us?"

Kris was still emotionally raw, and his question sent off sparks again. Nevertheless, Genesis' arm was already around her waist, and his voice in her ear helped her to focus. She managed to nod. "Why do you want to know?"

The brunette commander looked as though he was thinking about walking away, but Sephiroth caught his eye, and he sighed before he continued. "You also said that even if he could find-" He paused again, but forced himself to finish. "You made it sound as though you did not want the person responsible to pay. I only bring this up because I am trying to understand how you could feel that way."

Kris' eyes widened as his questions finally made sense. Her eyes closed against a fresh wave of tears, and she had to swallow several times before her voice would work. It was still barely above a whisper. "The boy that-" She couldn't bring herself to say it again. Not now. Instead, she tried to change her focus. "It isn't that I don't want Brandt to face justice, but I cannot bring myself to hate him enough to want him dead. That's just revenge. Besides, his mother was my nanny from the time I was two until I was seventeen. She never tried to replace my mother, but she was the closest thing I ever had to one. I could never wish that pain on her. It was bad enough that they had to face losing me."

It was several awkward moments before anyone spoke again. Finally, Angeal nodded. "I think I understand. Thank you for sharing."

He had barely turned to look at Sephiroth before Zack came closer to get her attention. "Uh, sis, did you say nanny? Like she lived with you and took care of you? As in your dad was rich enough for that?"

His question caused all the eyes in the room to turn to Kris. She found she still had it in her to chuckle at the look her brother was giving her. "Yes I did. My father always said he was too busy to raise a child alone, so he hired Marie. I think he would have been fine, but I'm glad I got to meet her. It wasn't as though he didn't start taking me with him as soon as he was able. Can you imagine a thirteen-year-old girl in a boardroom full of stuffy old men? It was both terrifying and hilarious."

Zack looked like his eyes might pop out, but it was Angeal that held up a hand and spoke. "Wait. Are you saying your father is an executive of some kind?"

Kris' eyes turned a little sad again, but she didn't lose her soft smile. "No. My father was the president of his own corporate conglomeration. That was how he got away with bringing me. He started grooming me to take over for him from a young age."

Kris laughed again when she caught sight of Zack bouncing on the balls of his feet. The display made her chest tighten at the familiarity, but it also made relief flood through her. Some things never changed, and right now, she needed that. It helped when his voice came out just as excited.

"Woah! Does that mean you were like a female Rufus Shinra!?"

Kris frowned at the comparison but finally nodded. "While my father did not preside over a company that held most of the world, yes Rufus and I had similar upbringings. The biggest difference was the fact that my father gave a shit."

Sephiroth frowned as he interjected. "If your father was such a powerful man, would he not have people still looking for you? Certainly, he would not have given up."

Kris sighed and ran her hand down her face as though the motion could wipe away the shadows that threatened to consume her still. She finally looked up. "That life, my family and position, all of it, it is gone beyond my reach. I am sure he never gave up searching for me, but that doesn't mean I can go back. There is no going back."

Sephiroth looked like he had more questions, but Kris was grateful when Genesis stepped in. "Enough. We have spent enough time speaking about things that cannot be changed. We should instead focus on things we can. For example, what is the decision about Hollander?"

Angeal sighed as he looked at Kris and then Sephiroth before he shook his head. "I believe that is a decision that should be made by clearer heads. Whether we wait to decide or have him face charges, either way, now is not the time to deal with it. Kris was right, that isn't justice."

Genesis looked like he was about to explode, but Sephiroth smoothly stepped in. "If that is to be the decision, then we need to decide where to keep him until we head back to Midgar. I believe we will want to head back quickly, but I am sure we will be here for a few more days, at least."

The last part of his statement was almost like a question as he looked over at Kris. She gave him a nod. "It would be best to get Genesis healed as soon as I am able. We also need to protect Commander Hewley. If it is anything like the last time, then I will need some time to recuperate."

Genesis sighed next to her and gave her a slight glare before he turned back to Sephiroth. "If that is the case, then we might as well stay here. We can secure Hollander in the cellar. It can be locked, and there are only two access points. Both of which are built to withstand duress."

Sephiroth gave him a curt nod before he turned to where the scientist was still trying to get out of his bonds. As soon as the general started his way, Hollander was practically shouting. "You can't lock me up! I have experiments running that will fail if I'm not there."

That was the worst choice of words he could have used. Sephiroth shocked most of the room when he grabbed the front of the man's smock and picked him up, chair and all. His voice came out through gritted teeth. "You are being given more chance then you have thought to give others. Be thankful that your head is still attached. Have no fear, we will handle your 'experiments.'"

Hollander looked like he wished he could sink into the chair he was in as Sephiroth lowered him only far enough so that he could carry the man across the room. When the rest of the group realized he intended to leave him tied to the chair, both Angeal and Kris jumped to intercept him. Angeal was the first to speak.

"I'll agree that we probably should keep him bound, but we can retie his hands once we get him in the cellar. He's not going to get away from you."

Sephiroth took a deep breath to rein in his temper and nodded. He dropped Hollander and stepped away. Even though Kris was still glaring at him, she felt a little sorry. He looked dazed from the impact and like he might have bitten his tongue. Not that he didn't deserve it, but again, treating him that way was no better than what he had done to others.