Face From the Past

Chapter 71

By that point, the trader had seen who the rest of the team consisted of. His eyes widened in shock for the first time as he recognized most of them. The only ones he didn't know were the ones in suits, but he knew enough to guess what their role was. He looked back to the two siblings with a glint of concern for the first time since he saw them both. "I understand how that is. I may be here for the winter, but that doesn't mean I don't have work to do. Plenty to prepare so we can leave on time."

He then took a step closer to them and lowered his voice. "You two, be careful. I don't know what has you both caught up with this group, but I'll send up a prayer for the planet to keep you safe."

Kris suddenly felt tears in her eyes that she could not keep back, no matter how much she wanted to. His warning had been heartfelt, but it was too close to what was going on. The little bubble of normalcy she had been clinging to at the sight of someone from her past was burst in a heartbeat.

Genesis frowned over at the man when he caught sight of her tears, but thankfully, Zack jumped in before anything scathing could be said. He grabbed Mr. Anders by the hand and shook it once more. "Don't worry about us. We've got things under control!" He then lowered his voice a little, and his grin died down. "And don't worry about Kris. I would never let anything happen to her. You have my word."

The trader was far from reassured by the boy's statement, but given the frowns on the Soldiers' faces, and the dangerous looks from the rest of them, he knew now wasn't the time to push. He knew the siblings were able to take care of themselves, he just hoped this time was no different.

Mr. Anders then gave Zack a smile. "I still haven't seen you in the news yet, but I have no doubt that I will. I'm looking forward to it. You two take care." With that parting remark, he turned to get back to his preparations.

Once he was gone, Kris turned to see the rest of the team scowling. Genesis had an idea who the man had been, as he remembered some of Kris' stories. So did Angeal, but she tried to explain it to the rest of them before they could start asking questions. "Mr. Anders was the head man over the caravan Zack and I rode with on the way from Gongaga to Costa del Sol. We spent a couple of months helping them, and he gave us some help in return."

Rufus nodded in understanding, but his words were still sharp. "Be that as it may, if we are to delay our trip for you to stop in Gongaga for a night, we cannot afford any other delays. Please keep that in mind."

Genesis had been in a foul mood since they left Banora, so Rufus' words only set him off. "There is no need for you to be rude. Out of us all, your team is the one that does not grasp the enormity or significance of what we are dealing with. You could not hope to comprehend everything, as you were not there. Your words only further prove your ignorance."

Rufus raised a brow at his outburst, and Veld took a threatening step forward. Kris had to repress a sigh as she smoothly stepped in between them and looked directly at Rufus. "We are indeed in a hurry, and I believe the helicopter should be unloaded. Why don't we get this show on the road?" There was some grumbling at her words, but the Vice-President merely nodded before he turned to where the helicopter was waiting.

----------------

It ended up taking them a couple of days to get to their first stop. The helo landed several miles down the road from the tiny village the Fairs were from in a clearing large enough to accommodate it. The group had agreed that they would let the siblings stay for the night and would be back to get them midday the following day. The rest of the group would go to the next village large enough to have a respectable inn.