New Friends

Chapter 32

During the week that Genesis was gone for his mission, he either messaged or called Kris every day. Even if their conversations were short, Kris found that she couldn't keep a smile off her face. The fact that he was thoughtful enough to keep in touch even while he was gone for work made her feel strange, but it was a good kind of strange. Zack had figured out why she was in a constant good mood early in the week, and she would occasionally catch him grumbling about it. Still, he never said anything to her directly, so she avoided bringing it up.

It was Wednesday of that week when Zack convinced her to go out with him and some of his friends. They didn't have any upcoming missions, so they all agreed it would be okay. Kris rolled her eyes when they got to the bar, and Reno was one of the people sitting at the table they were headed to. She was more surprised to see other Soldiers sitting there comfortably with the Turk. She had been told the two branches were on working terms only, but she realized that Reno was probably an exception. The man was irreverent as they came.

When they pulled even with the table, Reno smirked up at her and patted the seat next to him. "I saved a spot just for you, yo."

Zack shuffled a little beside her, but she ignored them both and sat down across from Reno instead. She turned to the two Soldiers and gave them a smile. "Your names were Kunsel and Luxiere, right?"

Kunsel grinned, and Luxiere smirked. It was Kunsel that answered. "I see you're better with names than your brother."

Kris laughed at the teasing jab and grinned at Zack before she answered. "It wouldn't be fair for him to have all the talent."

Luxiere shook his head before he spoke. "I wouldn't say he got all the talent. I was sure you were going to do the impossible and hurt a First. That was amazing."

Kris blushed at his exuberance and waved it off. "That's just hard work." She quickly moved to change the subject and looked at her brother. "So, why exactly are we here anyway?"

Zack grinned at her sheepishly and scratched the back of his head. "Well, I thought it had been a long time since we got to do anything together, so I just wanted us to hang out."

Kris gave him a look that told him she knew what he was up to. She only held it long enough for him to shuffle uncomfortably in his seat before she grinned at him and turned to Reno finally. "Zack tells me that the two of you work together a lot. What's it like?"

Reno had been eyeing her after her snub of his first offer, but at her question, he grinned. "Oh, it's fun. More fun than workin' with most Soldiers, but I doubt it's as great as it woulda been workin' with you."

Kris laughed and shook her head. "I'm not cut out for the military. I know I'm too mouthy."

Reno's grin got wider. "See, I knew I liked you."

Kris laughed and shook her head, but the waiter arrived at that point to take their orders. It wasn't long until they all had drinks and settled into a comfortable conversation. Any time the conversation veered into Kris' possible future with Shinra, she quickly changed the subject. She already knew that Zack had planned the whole thing as a way to get her to not think about Genesis, and she didn't hold it against him. That didn't mean that she had any plans to even think about joining any branch of the Shinra military.

By the end of the night, Kris was a little tipsier than she had planned on becoming, so Zack had to help her onto the train. It also meant that the rest of their little group were able to get a promise for them all to hang out regularly. Not that Kris really minded. Outside of work and Genesis, she hadn't been out much since they moved to Midgar. It would be nice to not feel as isolated.

----------------------------

The following Monday, it was late when Genesis finally called. Kris had been fighting her own worry most of the evening. He had regularly contacted her by late afternoon since he had been gone, so she tried not to let her relief show in her voice when she answered.

If Genesis noticed it, he didn't mention it. There was a pleased lilt to his voice, though. "Kristobel, I do apologize for the late hour, but we are making arrangements to be back tomorrow."

She felt her cheeks stretch as she grinned, although she tried to keep her voice even. "That's good. I imagine it will be nice for you to sleep in your own bed again."

He chuckled. "Indeed. That is not what I am looking forward to most, however." He paused for effect, but not long enough for her to ask what he meant. "I should be back early in the day, and I had hoped that I could convince you to join me for dinner later. Just the two of us."

Kris tried, but there was no way she could keep the grin from her voice at his request. "I think I would enjoy that. What time?" Kris was pleased to hear a smile in his voice as well when he answered, although she doubted he was grinning. She almost missed his answer as she tried to picture the way his smile softened his features and made the image of his lips do strange things to her insides.

"I will be there at 19:00 to pick you up."

Kris had to fight to get her expression back under control as she answered. She knew her excitement could still be heard, though, and tried not to let it bother her. "Can I ask where we will be going?"

Genesis chuckled slightly at her oblique reference to their first date and his desire to surprise her. "I have reservations for Linston's."

Kris didn't respond right away. Linston's was the restaurant that he had brought her lunch from, so she knew the food would be phenomenal, but it was also a place that required reservations. Usually, far in advance. It wasn't the kind of place she had ever thought of going, and she had to fight her nerves as she thought of all that implied. Not the least of which was the fact that he already had reservations. Did he have that much pull, or was it that he already had them, and she was a convenient replacement for the person he had originally planned to take.

She shook off her rambling thoughts when he called out to her again. She tried not to let her nerves be heard. "I apologize, but that is unexpected. I thought it took forever to get reservations there."

She could practically hear his smirk when he answered. "Normally, yes. However, they have a small section set aside for Shinra executives. As a Soldier First-Class, I have the distinction of its use. I never have a problem getting a table when I wish it."

Kris could feel her ears burning at the reminder of the gap in their social status. Not that he had ever inferred it, but it was still there, and it settled like lead in her stomach. She finally shook the thoughts off as she picked up a note of concern when Genesis spoke again.

"Kristobel, are you alright?"

She forced a bit of levity into her voice. "Of course, I was just surprised."

She must not have done as good of a job as she expected and grimaced at his next question. "If you are worried, please do not be. There are no expectations, and even if there were, I am certain that you would fulfill them all, just as you are."

Kris felt the corner of her lips curl up despite her initial misgivings. She was continuously underestimating the man, and she needed to quit it. Her next words had no need for forced cheer. "I'm glad you think so." She cleared her throat and shook off the last of her worry. "Well, I suppose that means I'll see you tomorrow. Have a safe journey back."

"Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return. I would not let anything keep me from your side."

Kris laughed at his exaggeration, but couldn't deny that it made her feel better. "See you then." She hung up at his return goodbye and couldn't keep a smile from her face for the rest of the evening.