Healing Genesis

Chapter 63

It was a short time later that Sephiroth and Angeal returned with the status of Hollander's temporary prison. Tseng had come back in with them as well. It only took them a few minutes to catch the Turk up with what was planned. He did not look happy about the delay, but he did agree that it was necessary. Especially since it had been decided Kris would try to heal Genesis the next day. Not that she hadn't argued for taking care of it immediately. Everyone else insisted that she rest for at least one more day.

It wasn't until they were getting ready to walk out that Tseng noticed the new addition to Kris' jewelry. He stopped them all and turned to her with a raised brow. "I leave the room for less than an hour, and you are now engaged?"

Despite the snark in her boss' tone, she still smiled brightly. Even when Zack had to add his opinion. "Yeah, tell me about it. Apparently, he asked her this morning, and she just now got around to saying yes. Gah, can you imagine him being part of our family? Mom's gonna have a fit when she finds out."

Kris gave her brother a dirty look that he responded to with a grin, but neither of them got to speak. Angeal had stopped to stare at Genesis in shock. "You're getting married!?"

Genesis rolled his eyes at the disbelief, but it was Sephiroth that interrupted next. "I suppose that means congratulations are in order. It is a pleasant surprise to find out news such as this during these dark times."

Kris and Genesis looked at each other with a wry smile. They hadn't even been allowed to add their own thoughts. Still, though neither of them had thought of it, Sephiroth was correct. It was a pleasant note to contrast what they had been dealing with. They spent the rest of the walk back upstairs trying to field questions about the date and other plans. None of which had an answer yet.

-----------------------------

It was before dawn the next morning when Kris woke with a strangled scream. This time was not as bad as the previous night. At least she recognized the room and made it to the bathroom with ease. She didn't scream when Genesis joined her, but she couldn't hold back her tears when he tried to soothe her. It wasn't until she shakily got back to her feet that he handed her a glass of water with a worried look.

She sighed and tried to head off the questions she could see in his eyes. "It's the nightmares. They are worse now."

She didn't need to say anything else. He cursed under his breath before he took the cup from her to set aside before he picked her up. Usually, she might have complained at his high-handed treatment, but she curled into him and allowed him to put her back to bed.

It was some time before she was able to get back to sleep. Thankfully she had not seen Genesis' worried gaze. He was not shocked that her nightmares had gotten worse, but he hoped that for her health, they could find some way to reduce them. He doubted waking to be sick every night was a good precedent to set. Those were his last thoughts as he finally drifted back to sleep as well.

----------------------------------

The next morning found an exhausted couple finishing their breakfast in silence. Genesis was not thrilled with Kristobel's decision to go through with healing him, but he knew they were racing a clock. This would be something that she would have to do, whether he liked seeing it or not.

Zack had thought about making a joke at his sister's expense about the circles under her eyes, but he then remembered the day before and decided he would rather keep it to himself than find out for sure why she had been up. He shuddered as he tried to strangle that mental image before it could infect his thoughts. He was grateful when everyone finally stood to head into the drawing-room again.