Aftereffects

Chapter 64

Genesis pulled Kristobel close after her statement, and just held her there for several minutes. When he finally pulled back, his face was concerned again. "It is almost time for dinner. If I helped you clean up, do you think you would feel up to joining us? If not, I can have something brought up. I do feel that you should eat before sleeping again. I am concerned that you have not been able to keep much down for the last two or three days."

She gave him a soft smile. "I feel sore, but otherwise, I'm fine. I'm sure it's just my body getting used to the fact that a goddess used me to push her power into the world. I doubt there are any studies out there that list what the possible side-effects of that could be."

He did not look amused by her attempt at humor. "Does that mean you would like my help?"

She patted his cheek. "Yes. I would love you forever if you could help me take a shower. I think it will depend on how I feel afterward whether I want to go down or not."

That time he did raise a brow. "I thought you would love me forever, anyway? Isn't that usually what marriage is?"

Her grin widened slightly. "Fine then, how about we settle with me making it up to you when I feel better?"

A heated look flashed through his eyes, but his only response was to stand with her still in his arms. When they got to the bathroom, he set her on her feet, and she worked to undress while he started the water. He turned with a smirk when he found she was almost finished. "I had hoped to help with that."

She chuckled as she took the last item off. Despite how sore she was, she felt heat creep into her veins at the look he was giving her. She swallowed thickly before she gestured toward the water. "I feel a lot better than I did the last time. I'm sore as hell, but not nearly as drained. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like company."

She could have sworn she heard him groan under his breath as he helped her step into the shower. He still shook his head. "If you are frisky enough to even make that suggestion, then it would be best if I decline for the moment. Is there anything you need?"

Kris had already stepped into the spray of hot water and felt it loosening sore muscles. She barely managed to answer. "If you aren't getting in here with me, then no, I can handle this. Just don't go too far if you don't mind."

She heard him huff. "You act as though I would even consider leaving the room after what happened."

Kris started to tease him, but something in his tone stopped her. She wasn't sure what it had been like for him, but whatever he saw obviously had rattled him. "I wish it were easier. For everyone. Just know that I'll be alright. Minerva wouldn't give me a task that would kill me. Not after she brought me back once already."

Genesis made a sound that clearly meant he did not agree, but he didn't comment further. "I'll be in the room. Call out if you need me."

Kris let him know she heard before she turned her focus to washing the gross feeling from her skin. It was not long before she turned the water off and stepped out to find a towel. When she walked into the room, she found Genesis sitting at his desk in the corner. He turned as soon as he heard her footfalls. "There are clean clothes there beside you. Tseng will have to deal with you not wearing the uniform for now. You won't wear it for much longer if I have any say in the matter."

Kris wasn't sure if she wanted to be angry that he was making a decision for her, or glad that he was willing to stand up to the Turk. She went with the latter. Since he already knew she hadn't wanted to join, it wasn't a stretch that he had figured out she had been enlisted under duress.