Even Angels Have Their Demons

Chapter 56

Genesis was still awake as the sun started to shine through the sheer curtains. He was lost in thoughts of how to accomplish his newest goal. He was drawn from those bloody images when Kris stirred in his lap. He looked down to see her mesmerizing eyes look around with fear before they settled on his own, and he felt her relax against him.

She pushed back a little and sat up. When she looked down to see she was still nude, her head shot back up, and her cheeks were heated. Her voice was surprisingly even. "Did you sleep with me in your lap all night?"

He tried not to grimace at the question. He was only partially successful as he reached out and smoothed a few stray strands of hair from her face. "Did you sleep well?"

Kris narrowed her eyes at him and leaned forward slightly. "You didn't sleep, did you?"

He sighed but wasn't surprised at her insistence. He wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer. "I had too much on my mind."

Kris stiffened as she realized some of the things he might be talking about. The reminder of getting her past all out made her stomach churn, but she was surprisingly able to push it down enough that she just frowned at him. Her words were hesitant, but she managed to speak without crying again. "I am not sure if you mean about you or about what we talked about, but if it is the latter, I will ask that you let it go. I can barely deal with it as it is. For now, I think it would be best if I focus on convincing myself it is in the past."

He clenched his jaw and didn't speak right away. Finally, he sighed and tucked her under his chin. "I cannot promise to not think about it, but I will promise to not bring it up around you again. You are safe now, and I want to make sure you have no reason to doubt it."

Kris still felt the past trying to crawl out of the dark corners she had pushed it to, so she focused on Genesis' promise to keep her safe and the warm feel of his arms to ground her to the present.

It was several minutes later that she was reminded once again that she was snuggled in his lap with nothing between them but the pants he had slept in. Or rather, not slept in. Not that it mattered to her embarrassment. She sat back but didn't go far. She wasn't sure which would be worse, jumping up and making a beeline for the bathroom and ensuring he also remembered her lack of clothes and noticed her embarrassment, or just staying there until he decided to move. She finally decided on the latter.

She reminded herself that she couldn't live in the past, or she wouldn't be able to live at all. To try and distract herself, she shifted slightly, so she was straddling his hips instead of snuggling against him. The slight change made all the difference in the world. Her cheeks heated a little when she looked up and noticed his eyes had dilated somewhat, and his lips were parted.

His voice was concerned. "Kristobel, I know you are still dealing with everything that has come to light. I cannot take advantage of that."

Kris sighed. It was too easy for him to see through her. Still, even though her decision had been based on trying to distract herself, once she could feel his heat, it brought back memories of a much sweeter variety. She didn't need to convince herself that she wanted him. She leaned a little closer before she responded.

"I will not lie and say that I am alright. I won't even try to tell you that I'm not still hurt by what you did, but that doesn't mean I can't want you. I still love you. I wouldn't have chased you halfway around the world otherwise. I'm not going anywhere."

Genesis sighed and leaned his head back against the headboard. Kris could feel his muscles tighten, but he didn't pull her closer. It was several tense moments later that he sat back up with a frown. "I have no plans to let you go. I did promise to never leave your side again. That doesn't mean I am willing to take advantage of you when you are emotionally vulnerable."