Impossible Choices

Chapter 83

It was only a matter of minutes later that the group was on the way back to Nibelheim. The helicopter was much more full this time around, and most of the Soldiers were standing. Tseng had taken up the co-pilot seat, and the rest were doing their damnedest to ignore Hojo and his blustering.

Genesis was ignoring them all. His attention had not left Kristobel since they got her out of that crumbling reactor. Zack was the only other one to be focused entirely on the woman as well. For once, the Commander had no desire to prod the boy or push him away. It was an unspoken understanding that they both shared. Kris was what was important.

They had not even been in the air for ten minutes when Kris finally stirred. Genesis held his breath as he looked down, hoping that she would wake. That held breath was released as a grunt when that was not what happened. Instead, she seemed to curl around herself as she groaned. The sound was accompanied by a grimace, though she still did not wake.

Genesis was doing all he could to not panic, but when her groans grew louder, it took all he had not to do so. Zack was not in much better shape. His outburst was what finally drew everyone else's attention. "What's wrong with her!?"

Genesis growled up at the boy. More out of frustration than the fact that he was upset with him. He didn't get to do more as several sets of eyes were on them, and Sephiroth spoke up. "Is she harmed?"

Genesis glared over at the General with a look that clearly said he felt that was the stupidest question he had ever heard. Before he could follow the look with words, Hojo tried to step forward. His way was blocked by a scowling Vincent, but he still spoke. "I can look at her."

That statement garnered several baleful looks, though none more so than Genesis. "She does not need your type of assistance."

Hojo scoffed at him. "Then you are claiming to have medical training? Doubtful. If you would rather harm come to her, so be it."

They all knew the madman was only trying to arrogantly goad them and get under their skin. That did not keep Genesis from pausing before he answered. He let out another frustrated growl, but it was Sephiroth that spoke what they were all thinking. "If you think to do more than an exam, you will not live long."

Hojo waved off the threat. None of them were sure why he was still so full of confidence, but he disregarded them all as he pushed past Vincent. "You do need me, after all. Don't forget that."

The scientist didn't know it but had the situation not been so urgent, there were several men that would have happily thrown him from the helicopter at that moment. None of them moved to do so. Instead, they watched closely as he had Genesis recline Kris as much as possible in the cramped space. He then lifted her lids to try and gauge her state. He let out a sharp gasp at the sight of her unusual eyes. However, his only words were to himself. "Fascinating."

Hojo ignored the threatening sounds Genesis made and continued his exam. His eyes widened when he realized she was pregnant. He had not gotten a good look at the girl before then. Despite his lack of care for Hollander's experiments, the fact that the child was a mix of the Commander's and this girl was worth looking into.

When Kris groaned once more, Hojo laid a hand on her extended abdomen. He left the one hand there for several minutes while the other checked other things, like her pulse and breathing rate. He finally stepped back with a slight frown. "She is having contractions."

That one statement was enough to cause an uproar. None of them heard the rest of what the scientist said over the other raised voices. Finally, Tseng called out over the intercom to be heard above the din. When the noise level had lowered enough, he spoke again. "Panic will get us nowhere. We can push the helo to be there in about twenty minutes. In the meantime, we will contact Rude and have him gather whatever local medical care the village has to wait for us at the mansion."