Surprise Lunch

Chapter 30

The next morning, Mr. Alexandros barely stayed long enough to help her get the store opened. She wasn't sure, but it seemed that he was treating her with a little more distance than usual. His smile was still warm when he wished her luck for the day and left. Once he was gone, she sighed. She hoped that what had happened the day before wouldn't make him second guess her. She had a great job and didn't want to lose it.

Luckily, she didn't have much time to worry about it. Her morning was busy. It seemed that every couple in the city was suddenly either starting a family or getting married. She knew the thought was an exaggeration, but when it was past her lunchtime, and Mr. Alexandros hadn't come in yet, she was ready to close the doors for a little bit anyway. She did sigh when she heard the door ring again. She still managed to smile before she turned to greet the newest customer. "Hello, welcome to-"

She stopped and stared for several seconds as she tried to make sense of the sight of Genesis standing just inside the doorway with a basket in hand. She was finally jarred from her shock when he stepped closer and smiled. "Infinite in mystery is the gift of the Goddess. I hope that I am not too late for lunch. I brought something to share."

She gave him a confused look. "You brought lunch to share with me?" He chuckled at her reiteration, and she could feel her face burning. She felt stupid for even asking, but it was just too surprising. Thankfully, he didn't mention her reaction.

"Of course. I have to deploy for a short mission on Monday, so I thought it would be wonderful to see you before I leave."

"Oh." She had no idea how to react to his presence.

When she didn't respond other than that, he held the basket up again. "Have you eaten yet?"

She shook off her stupor and shook her head. "No, I haven't had the chance. Mr. Alexandros usually comes in so I can break for lunch, and he hasn't returned yet."

Genesis frowned at her response. "You are alone?"

"Yes?" She wasn't sure why he was giving her that look. "I thought I told you already that I handle the store by myself except for opening, lunch, and closing."

His frown deepened. "You said you managed the store for him, but I didn't realize you were alone."

She suddenly recognized that he was implying she could be in danger, and she frowned back. She didn't get a chance to say anything before he shook his head. He was still frowning, but his look was more evaluating. "I suppose I should not be surprised. Your capability continues to pleasantly surprise me. I know you can handle most things, but that doesn't mean I like the idea."

Kris felt her stomach flip at his sentiment. The fact that he wasn't doubting her, but still worried about her made her feel strange. She managed to shake the feeling off as she pointed to the back of the store. "I apologize that I can't join you right now, but I don't think it would be a problem for you to wait if you want. I'm sure Mr. Alexandros will be here soon."

His brow furrowed slightly as he stepped closer. "Surely, it would not be an issue for you to pause for a short while. The store is empty, is it not?"

Kris looked around him out of habit before she finally answered. "You are the only other person here for the moment, but it has been busy today. I don't dare close the shop for lunch."

He gave her a contemplative look before he looked around as well. He then pointed to the door to the back office. "Why don't you join me in the back and leave the door open. I would be happy to greet customers while you finish eating, at least."