Back to Midgar

Chapter 67

The next morning Kris only felt nominally better. She had managed to sleep through the night for the first time in days. Not that she hadn't had nightmares, but they had morphed into strange things that she tried not to think about in the light of day. They were too disturbing and were closely linked to her worries.

At least she had also not been sick, though it had been a close call when she first woke. The nausea was terrible. She was more than grateful to find that a fresh pot of tea had been sent up that morning. She decided that drinking at least one cup before she tried to face the dining room was probably a good idea.

When they finally made their way downstairs, they ran into Angeal as he was coming back into the house. He gave Genesis a tired smile before he turned to Kris with a worried look. "How are you feeling?"

She still felt a twist of guilt at the fact that the man had already refused to let her purify him once, but that wasn't what had her frowning. She suddenly realized that he had probably been spending his nights with his mother and had as much to worry about here in Banora as any of them. She felt even more guilt heap on her at the fact that she hadn't considered it in more than passing.

She gave him a strained smile as she answered. "Better than last night, but I should be asking, how are you?"

Shock crossed his features for a moment before he finally gave her a genuine smile. "Tired, but better as well. Don't worry about me. I've had a few days to talk things out with mom. We're okay."

Kris eyed him for a moment, but Genesis didn't give her a chance to keep bugging Angeal. He steered her toward the dining room. "I am sure we have plenty to discuss, and you still need to eat. The soup last night does not begin to cover what you have not been able to eat for the last few days."

The only thing that kept Kris from getting upset at the tone he used with her was the fact that she knew he was only concerned. She let him lead her into the dining room and was more than thankful when the smell of eggs, pancakes, and bacon only made her mouth water.

Zack jumped up as soon as she came in. It looked like he wanted to grab her in a hug, but he stopped and gave her a wary look first. "How are you feeling?"

She chuckled and moved passed him to sit down. "Starving."

He grinned as he sat on the side away from Genesis. Whatever he was about to say was interrupted by Tseng. "I am glad to see your appetite has returned. That bodes well for the news I have."

Genesis glared at the Turk, but he ignored it as he stood from where he had been leaning against the wall and continued. "There were a pair of operatives close to Modeoheim that were able to quickly verify your claims about Professor Gast. Given that fact, I felt it was prudent to go ahead and send a report to Veld. He has asked that we meet him as soon as we return to the Eastern continent. He will be waiting as soon as we land. I believe he would like to go over everything in person before we make the decision to return to Midgar."

The silence after his announcement was absolute, but it only lasted a moment before several voices erupted at once. Both Sephiroth and Genesis were the loudest, and neither were happy. Finally, Kris stood and yelled. When they all looked at her in shock, she shook her head and gave her lover an exasperated look. "We knew this was a possibility. We also knew that we would be heading back soon. Let's act like adults and talk this out instead of getting angry, please. I would like to finish my breakfast while I still can."

Genesis glared at her tone, but he sat anyway. She had a point that her sickness could return, and it would be best if she could eat while it was possible. Once everyone was seated again, Sephiroth spoke in a calmer voice, even though it was easy to see he was still not happy. "Given your tone, it would suggest that the Director is displeased. I do not object that we meet with him, as from what we have heard, he does have a stake in this. However, I do want to reiterate that no harm will come to Kris. No matter where the threat comes from."