Finally, A Real Date

Chapter 33

When Kris told Zack that he would have to eat leftovers, and why, he wasn't thrilled, but they had been through it enough that he knew better than to argue. He was home before it was time for Genesis to pick her up and made a point of being the one to answer the door when a knock came at ten minutes before the hour. He glared at the man that was standing there with a brow raised and a small bouquet. "Commander Rhapsodos. Kris will be out in a minute."

Kris huffed from right behind him. She hadn't been fast enough to stop him from answering the door, but she did peek her head around him and gave Genesis a smile. At his returning smirk, she poked Zack in the side and made him yelp before he gave her a glare too. When he jumped, she stepped around him and held out her hands to take the flowers from Genesis.

"Thank you again. They're lovely."

He didn't hesitate to follow her into the house at her gesture, even though Zack was still glaring at them both. When Genesis saw her pull out the same blue tumbler, he shook his head but didn't say anything. Even though it was unorthodox, he could agree that the color complimented the flowers well.

Once she had the flowers in water, she smiled at Genesis and gestured to the door. "Would you mind giving me a moment? I'll be right out."

He gave her a slight smile and a nod, but it turned to a smirk when he caught sight of the look Zack was giving him. Kris didn't miss the fact and shook her head. She was going to have to say something before it caused problems. A large part of her felt defensive for her brother, and she hoped that it was just Genesis trying to provoke Zack because it was humorous for himself and not out of a complete lack of respect on the Commander's part.

Once he was outside, Kris turned to Zack. "Look, I know you don't like this, and I really appreciate what you have been trying to do for me. But please, for my sake, at least try not to look like you want to kill him every time you see him. I promise you will be the first person I tell if I feel like he's an ass to me. Okay?"

Zack's shoulder's slumped, but he gave her a nod. Kris shook her head at the kicked puppy look he was giving her before she stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "I love you, tadpole, don't forget that." He rolled his eyes before he shot her a grin, and she felt a little better.

"I know. Just be careful, okay?"

She gave him a nod and turned to the door. She paused with her hand on the knob. "I don't know how late I'll be, so don't wait up. I don't want you to have trouble tomorrow." He grimaced again but gave her a nod as she walked out.

Once she closed the door, she suppressed a sigh at the sight of Genesis leaning against the side of the cab. She almost considered telling him she was done with the whole thing. Even though she did enjoy spending time with him, she wasn't sure it was worth it if it bothered her brother that much. Those thoughts lasted until she drew even with him, and he caught her hand. She didn't have time to react before he brought her hand up and brushed his lips across her knuckles. Her tongue was suddenly struck still as he smiled down at her. He brushed a strand of hair back off her face as he spoke.

"You look lovely. It soothes my soul after being amid Soldiers for so long."

Kris finally shook off her shock at his exaggeration and shook her head with a chuckle. "I think you have a silver tongue, and I need to watch myself. Though, I will admit that I missed you a bit too."

He leaned in a little, and his smile took on a devious glint. "I would be happy to demonstrate just how skillful I am."

It didn't take Kris more than half a second to figure out what he meant. She felt her face heat again, but she quickly turned away to hide it. "Shouldn't we be on our way?" She heard Genesis chuckle behind her before he smoothly reached around her and opened the door.