Time to Decide

Chapter 31

When he took her hand and kissed her knuckles before he left, she could feel her face heating again, but she ignored it as she gave him a smile and a wave. She was still grinning when she joined Mr. Alexandros to let him know she was good to take over again. She had all but forgotten that he had implied that he wanted an explanation. At least until he sat next to her and gave her an expectant look.

She had both the urge to roll her eyes and to try and find something else to do to hide her embarrassment. She considered her boss a friend of sorts, and having him find out everything he had over the last couple of days in the manner it had happened made her cringe.

She sighed and shook her head. "I didn't think it would become an issue, but the Commander asked me out after the spar I told you about yesterday. There really isn't much to say as I suppose this lunch counts as our second date. Maybe even less since Zack and the other Firsts were there during the first one."

He blinked at her a couple of times before he shook his head with a chuckle. "I guess it doesn't surprise me. I was late because I pulled some strings to be able to see what the fuss was about. I heard your name several times while I was there. I have to say that I was a little shocked. You're so nice all the time that I never expected to see you try to take the Commander's head off more than once."

By that point, he had started laughing in earnest. When he caught sight of her reddened cheeks, he tried to tone it down and grinned at her. "I doubt the Commander has been the first man to see you and want to ask you out. He's just the lucky one that you noticed in return."

Kris tried to glare back, but it didn't hold any heat. "Zack said the same thing, but I don't see it." She stood at that point as the door had rung open. She glanced at him quickly and shook her head. "Still, thank you for being understanding."

He smiled and shooed her toward the couple that had just come in. "Don't thank me, just keep your head around him. I don't want to lose my best employee."

She smirked. "I'm your only employee. Don't worry, I don't plan on leaving." She didn't give him the chance to respond again before she turned to greet the young couple.

-------------------

Genesis ended up visiting again on Sunday. He even stayed for a few hours and tried to chat when she was in between customers. Kris did like sharing conversations with him but ended up having to shoo him out. She wasn't getting anything done, and she didn't want to get into trouble for being lazy. At least he had managed to keep himself hidden when customers came it. She hated to think about the disaster it would have been if he had been spotted. It might have increased their customers, but likely not in the way they needed.

When Monday came, he called her early as he was headed to the helicopter. She wanted to grumble at the hour, but something in his tone made her hold her tongue. She couldn't bring herself to fully believe it, but it sounded like he was actually going to miss her. Once they were off the phone, she dismissed the idea as crazy. No matter what else she knew about him, or assumptions she could make, they really barely knew each other. If he did miss her, it was only going to be in a shallow kind of way. Even so, the thought had her smiling as she made breakfast.

She didn't bother telling Zack what her grin was about, but she did tell him she would see him later. She was glad he was rushing and didn't get a chance to ask her why. She had already decided what she was going to tell Tseng and planned to go ahead and get it over with that morning. She didn't think making her brother late to go over it would have been a good idea.