Into the Reactor

Chapter 80

The group paused just outside of the barred entrance. None of them knew what to expect, but the men that had been there all night had already seen first-hand what happened to those that got caught in the shadows. Their guide had been the first casualty.

Before any of them moved, Kris spoke up in a quiet voice. "Before we go in here, you all need to know what you might face. It is possible that Nero could be in the shadows waiting. If not, all three of the current Tsviets could be waiting on the other side. They are only teenagers, but you shouldn't underestimate them."

She then caught Sephiroth's gaze as she continued. "They are the Soldiers created by Hojo in Deepground. He has raised them since birth to be ruthless killers."

Nothing else was needed for Sephiroth to understand what she meant. He was sickeningly familiar with that type of childhood. As soon as Kris saw his jaw clench and understanding flash through his eyes, she gave him a nod. She wasn't allowed a chance to say anything, as Genesis spoke up. "Deepground? The area changed after my birth?"

Pain flashed through her eyes as she gave him a nod. "Yes. They are all connected to you in some way, but I don't know the extent. I believe they are victims as well, but I doubt you will be able to go easy on them. If any of you try, someone could get killed. All they have ever known was the drive to be the most deadly. Besides, Hojo controls them with a chip. If they defy him, the implant will release a deadly neurotoxin."

The more Kris talked, the tighter Sephiroth clenched his fists. Knowing that his abusive childhood was only the first step for that madman did not sit well with him. However, Genesis was the next to speak. He pulled Kris out of the line and pinned her with a glare. "You know this, and still insist on going in there? I refuse to allow you to put yourself in such danger!"

Zack stepped up next to Genesis and joined him in glaring at his sister. "He's right. You can't believe we would let you go in there knowing all this!"

Despite her anger at both men, Kris could not hold back a smile. Though it was a twisted one as she shook her head. "Of course, this would be the one thing the two of you are willing to join forces on."

Both men gave her an appalled look before they looked at each other, but neither of them were given a chance to respond. Vincent's voice rang out with urgency. "Look out!"

None of them had enough time to do more than look back as the shadow suddenly expanded. Kris had just enough time to grab onto Zack as Genesis grabbed her before all three of them were engulfed in the ball of darkness.

The remaining men all stared at the now still shadow with horrified expressions. However, they were not given long to worry. Vincent stepped closer to the ball of darkness. A split second later, he turned to the rest. "I can still feel her. Quickly, if you are coming, we must go."

As much as they had questions, now wasn't the time. Sephiroth was the first to rush forward. Nothing was said as he extended his hand. Vincent eyed him with an unnamed expression for a moment before he spoke. "Don't let of go of me. If the girl was correct, you would be lost."

Sephiroth grabbed the man's cloak as the gunman started to walk forward. There was a quick scramble from the rest to fall into line, each grasping onto the one in front of them, with Tseng holding onto Sephiroth. Vincent barely paused to verify they were all together before he headed into the shadow.

------------------------------------

Kris was too terrified to scream as the shadow overtook them. However, her fear was tempered when she noticed a glow surround the three of them. She was barely given a chance to feel relief before a voice rang out of the darkness. "Well, this is unexpected. I was told to watch and pick you off if any of you got close. It seems I was luckier than I thought."