Challenge?

Chapter 21

She gave him a nod and a grateful smile as she turned to pick up where she left off. It was only a few minutes before she felt one of them step closer, and she turned to see Genesis was looking over her shoulder with a curious look. "What are you making? I don't think I have ever seen anything like it."

Despite his proximity, she was able to give him a genuine smile. "It's called fajitas. It's Zack's favorite food. After mom's cake, of course. Since I'm no good with baking, this will have to do."

Angeal grinned at her. "So, this is a celebration?"

She nodded back. "Sort of. It's his first solo mission. Might as well make the most of the successes we accomplish."

Angeal gave her an approving look, but she was once again distracted by Genesis. He had moved back to the table, but he turned to her with a frown. "If you are the Puppy's sister, does that mean you are the one that taught him how to use staves?"

She paused what she was doing and turned to him in surprise, but she hesitated and gave him a confused look. "Are you calling Zack a puppy?"

Angeal stood and raised a hand before Genesis could answer. "It's just a nickname. I happened to tell him one day that my new trainee was as excitable as a puppy. I didn't mean anything bad, of course, but it sort of... stuck."

Kris was trying very hard not to laugh. She was absolutely positive that Zack didn't appreciate the comparison, but she could understand what Commander Hewley was talking about. Still, she wasn't going to admit that out loud. She gave him a smile to let him know she wasn't upset before she spoke. "It was just unexpected. Don't worry about it. As for your question, Commander Rhapsodos, yes. I am the one that taught him how to fight with a staff."

Angeal gave her a surprised look. "He told me he had only managed to beat you twice, and he admitted that he felt both were only due to sheer luck."

She laughed and shook her head. "Well, we haven't sparred since he started training with you, so I doubt that it's still true, but before we got to Midgar, no, he couldn't beat me."

Genesis gave her a shocked look and took a step back before his gaze turned evaluating. Kris suddenly wished that she was anywhere else. Luckily for her, they were interrupted before the Commander could ask whatever was brewing behind that look. All three of them turned toward the doorway when the door closed loudly, and a voice yelled from the other room.

"Kris! Is that fajitas a smell? Please tell me you're making fajitas."

She laughed at his excitement and called out. "I'm in the kitchen."

Zack had barely taken the time to remove his shoes before he made a beeline for the kitchen. "Oh Gaia, you know I am so thankful I convinced-"

Whatever he had been about to say was cut off when he entered the small kitchen and caught sight of the two extra occupants. His attention was drawn by Kris. "As you can see, we have guests. Why don't you clean up and then we can all have dinner?" She paused and looked to their guests. "If you would like to stay, that is."

Angeal was torn. He didn't want to bother their family moment, especially with the way Genesis was acting, but he also knew it would look strange if they left when Zack finally got home. The choice was taken from him when Genesis spoke. "We would not like to overtax you, but if you are certain, then it would be a pleasure."

Zack was still frozen in shock and staring in growing horror at his commanding officers sitting in his dining room. He was broken from it when Kris snapped her fingers in front of his face. "Earth to Zack. You can sleep after we eat. I went to a lot of trouble getting good ingredients. Now go clean up."