Despite the Uncertainty

Chapter 62 

Kris didn't wait for the rest before she kneeled so she could untie him. Almost as soon as he was loose, Hollander made the mistake of trying to grab her. He thought he could use her as a hostage to get away. He had obviously forgotten their first meeting. As soon as Kris felt him try to grab her, she jumped back and grabbed his arm. She then proceeded to push his opposite shoulder with enough force that he was twisted violently before she pulled his arm up behind his back. He was effectively pinned and yelling for her to let him go.

With a sigh, Angeal moved in front of her. As soon as she saw him, she huffed and pushed the scientist toward the Commander. "He tried to grab me. I wasn't trying to hurt him."

Angeal gave her a nod as he pinned the man's arms to his side. Sephiroth didn't hesitate to grab the rope and had the man's hands tied again. Once he was secured, they both turned to Genesis. He gritted his teeth before he gestured to where Moira was standing with his parents. "Moira can lead you down to the cellar. Just make sure he can't get to anything breakable. Not that it would do him much good to get out, but there is no point in tempting him."

Sephiroth nodded his acknowledgment then turned to the nervous maid. The girl looked to the Rhapsodos'. When they gave her a nod, she swallowed once before she gestured to the door. "Please follow me."

As they walked out, Angeal decided to follow them as well. Once they were gone, Genesis turned to his parents. He still looked uncomfortable, but he managed to speak anyway. "It would seem that we will be here for several days at the least. I am aware there is much we still need to discuss, but it will need to wait. For now, I suggest that we put our issues aside until we have a better idea of what needs to be done."

His father stepped forward and gave him a nod. "You are always welcome in this house. It is your home, never forget that." The man paused when Genesis gave him a disgusted look, but he swallowed his worry and continued. "The welcome extends to your guests as well. If there is anything we can do to assist, please let us know."

Genesis sneered at him but swallowed whatever response he had when Kris put a hand on his arm. He shook his head, and his voice was still sharp. "It is appreciated, though I do not think there is any more you can do."

Kris frowned at him but didn't say anything. It wasn't like she didn't understand why he felt the way he did. Still, there was something she had to say, as well. She grabbed his arm again when he turned to leave. She gave him a nervous smile when he turned to her with a frown. She did her best to ignore it as she spoke. "Wait. Before we go find the others or back to the room, there is one thing I wanted to say. I want your parents here for it too."

Genesis paused and gave her a frown. Her attention was pulled from his questioning eyes when she saw Zack headed to the door with slumped shoulders. Her heart hurt to see him so disheartened. She tried to push it down as she called out. "Zack, wait."

When he turned to her with shocked eyes, she managed to give him a smile. "You are my family. You should be here too."

His eyes widened, but it was quickly lost in a grin. "You bet. What do you need?"

Kris felt her shoulders relax a little at the sight of his grin. She hated seeing the pain still in his eyes, but she knew it was only a matter of time. They could both get back to where they were. That was a trial for another time. For now, she had a mission. She then turned to see Genesis was giving her a look like he had an idea what she was planning and wasn't sure what to think about it. She grabbed his hand and squeezed.

She then turned to his parents. "This is actually something Genesis and I needed to speak about, but it will affect us all, so I felt you should at least be here."

Genesis pulled on her hand and lowered his voice. "Love, what are you doing?"

She smiled up at him, or tried to. Her cheeks felt stiff, and her heart was trying to beat out of her chest. The thought of what she was about to do had part of her mind wanting to run away. She violently snuffed that part down as she turned to face her lover and took both of his hands.

She took a deep breath. "You asked me something this morning that I wasn't sure how to answer. I mean, I know my answer, but I was too scared. I can't keep running, though."

He didn't let her keep going. He pulled her hand until she was closer. He then wrapped his arms around her and looked down into her eyes with concern. "Love, I know why you gave me the answer you did. Do not feel that you need to rush your response. I can be patient. For this, at least."

Kris felt tears pricking her eyes again, but she pulled away. "I know. But you were right. You said courage is being scared and still taking that step. Some things are worth fighting for. Even if that means I have to fight my own uncertainty." She then paused and pulled the ring from inside her shirt. She tried to undo the clasp this time instead of breaking the chain, but her fingers kept fumbling. Genesis gently pushed her hands aside and had it off within seconds.

Once he had the ring in hand, he closed it in his fist before he cupped her cheek. His eyes looked into hers for several seconds. "Are you sure?"

Kris swallowed back her racing heart and nodded. "Yes. I would be honored to become your wife."

He closed his eyes and pulled her into a tight embrace. It only lasted a few seconds before he lifted her left hand and slipped the ring into place. Once it was on, he brought it to his lips and kissed it. Kris saw so much passion in his eyes at that moment that she almost forgot to breathe.

They were both brought back to the moment when they heard a feminine squeal and Zack's exclamation. The latter was loud enough for Kris to catch and laugh at as she turned to face him. He was giving her a disgusted look. "Really!? You're gonna marry him? Why?"

Kris smirked at him, but she didn't get to say anything before Genesis did. "Because we belong together, tadpole."

Zack looked like he was about to punch the man, and Kris looked over with wide eyes. She smacked her fiancé's arm. When he frowned down at her, she frowned right back. "I'm the only one that gets to call him that."

Genesis looked shocked while Zack started to snicker. Her glare then turned to him. "Look, the two of you will have to get over this. We are going to be family. He's going to be your brother-in-law."

Zack looked like she had slapped him, but it was Genesis that made an undignified noise. When she looked up at him, he was frowning. "I had not considered that. I suppose you are correct, though. In order to have you by my side, I will learn to accept the Puppy as my brother-in-law."

Kris rolled her eyes at his continued prodding, but she didn't get a chance to say anything. She was once again pulled into a tight hug by a set of feminine arms. She was finally allowed to pull back and look into the shining eyes of Mrs. Rhapsodos. "I know we don't know each other yet, but I am happy to welcome you to the family. Anyone that would be willing to do so much-"

The woman cut herself off with a slight sob. Her husband put an arm around her shoulder and gave Kris a smile. "While it is clear things won't be easy for any of us, it would be a welcome opportunity to sit down with you once things are calmer. To welcome you to the family properly."

Kris felt an emotion other than dread, pain, or fear for the first time since that morning. She felt hope as she shook her future father-in-law's hand. This didn't solve anything, but it was a bright point in a dark day. As she watched her brother go on about how they needed to let their parents know and her lover take in the fact that this was about far more than just the two of them, she felt her heart begin to thaw. She knew she didn't have to face anything alone anymore.

Genesis looked down and caught her eye as Zack started talking with the Rhapsodoses about the Fairs and plans on how to get everyone together. Her lover squeezed her fingers and gave her the special smile that was hers alone. It was like a beacon in the dark as they stood there, and listened to their families making plans for a future that suddenly seemed a lot less unattainable.