First Kiss

Chapter 38

By the time the couple made it the theatre, Genesis had managed to make Kris forget that she had been nervous in the first place. There was no line when they got there, but a man was standing just inside the entrance. He gave the two of them a slight bow as Genesis handed their tickets over. The man bowed again as he gestured to the stairs.

When they entered the balcony, Kris was amazed by the layout. She walked to the edge and looked down. There were no people in the gallery below, but from what she could see, there were many balconies, and they were almost all occupied. A special showing indeed. She briefly wondered what the performers thought about the setup, but it fled when Genesis pulled her back to their seats.

It was only a few moments after they were seated that another man entered their box and offered them refreshments. Kris was so caught up in thoughts of what was coming, and the magnificent architecture around her, that she didn't think as she responded. She also didn't notice the way Genesis was watching her. It wasn't until the man returned that she finally noted his soft smile as she settled beside him. She blushed at the look he was giving her, but both their attention was pulled to the stage as the lights dimmed.

For the next three hours, Kris was literally on the edge of her seat. Even though it was a play, it wasn't long until she was engrossed. By the time the lights went back up, she was blotting at her eyes frantically, trying to keep the makeup she had put so much effort into from being ruined. She turned a wet glare to Genesis when she heard him chuckle.

He was shaking his head, but he was still smiling when he held out his hand. "Why don't you allow me?"

She gave him a confused look until he glanced down at the handkerchief he had lent her. Understanding lit her eyes, and she felt her cheeks heat again as she handed it back and closed her eyes. He gently wiped away the evidence of her tears.

Kris' blood had started heating as soon as he touched her. Despite the fact that they had technically been dating for nearly two months, she still had not worked up the courage to allow more than a kiss on her cheek. That didn't mean that she didn't want it. The way her senses were singing at his touch was becoming near torture. She tried not to think about it as he finished and stepped back.

When she opened her eyes, he was smirking at her. "There. Good as new."

She raised a brow and gave him a disbelieving look. His smirk deepened as he tilted his head. "Was it so bad?"

She chuckled and shook her head. "It was far from bad, but it was bittersweet. At least the lovers have hope that they will be reunited. It was just so-" She paused as she tried to find the words. "The bonds they all share are unbreakable. They were bent and pulled apart but never broken. It was beautiful."

Kris had to blink a few more times to keep new tears from falling. Genesis' smirk had softened into a charming smile as he took her hand. She allowed him to lead her out. Once they were on the street, he paused. She looked up with curiosity. It was already late, and they both had work in the morning, so she was unsure what to think when he turned to her with a glint in his eyes.

"Kristobel, would you allow me the chance to share something with you?"

The part of her that was worried about work was small and quickly faded at the look he was giving her. She smiled and nodded. "That sounds intriguing."

"Intriguing? Hmm, I suppose that is accurate enough."

Kris could tell that he was purposely trying to further her interest, so she just quirked a brow at him. He shook his head before he tucked her hand into his arm and headed to the city center. It wasn't until he started up the steps to the Shinra headquarters that she pulled away and gave him a hard look. "Genesis, I know-" She had to swallow before she could finish. "I know that we have been together for some time, but I am not going to your apartment. I have no problem telling you that I am not ready for that."