Invite

Chapter 28

The main elevators always took forever because there were nearly sixty floors open to the public. That day seemed worse than average. It could have been that Kris had so much on her mind, but it seemed that it was stopping on every floor. After the first few, she sighed and leaned against the wall. She was looking down, but not really seeing any of the people getting on and off. At least not until she heard a familiar voice calling to her with surprise.

"Kristobel, what an unexpected pleasure. Were you coming to surprise me? I thought you had work today."

Kris' head shot up, and her face immediately heated when she saw a few pairs of curious eyes turned to watch their exchange. "Ah, Genesis." She didn't know what to say at first, but when his brow rose, she quickly tried to explain. "I did have work today, but a couple of the Turks came and got me. Apparently, Tseng wanted to speak to me."

Genesis frowned at that, but the doors had just opened. He didn't bother looking to see if it was the floor he wanted before he took her arm and led her off. When they were alone, he gave her a frown. "The Turks never bring good news. What did their second-in-command want with you?"

Kris suddenly felt even more nervous than she had when she was speaking to Tseng. It was clear that Genesis held no love for the Turks. She shrugged. "Actually, he just wanted to offer me a job."

Genesis' eyes widened, and he blinked a few times before he answered. "A job? With the Turks?"

She huffed and glared at him. "You make it sound as if that were an impossible thing."

At her reprimand, he shook his head and gave her a wry smile. "There is no hate, only joy, for you are beloved by the Goddess. Please do not mistake my reserve as questioning your abilities. I should not be surprised that he asked. It is simply that I am not thrilled with him for doing so. The Turks are a less than wholesome bunch."

Kris found herself distracted at the way he wrinkled his nose when he mentioned the Turks. She already thought he was handsome enough to make a girl forget to breathe, but at that, she had to bite back hard on the urge to squeeze him. She doubted he would appreciate the fact that she found the expression adorable.

She shook those thoughts off as his look turned questioning and quickly tried to cover up her distraction. "I understand. I haven't made a decision yet. I told him I would let him know by the end of next week."

He was still frowning. "I would like to advise you against it, but it is not my decision to make. I would be happy to give you advice if you wish it, however."

Kris felt the corners of her mouth curl up. She still couldn't figure him out, but it was nice that he wasn't pushing his opinion, even if it was clear that he had one to share. It turned into a full-blown grin when he caught sight of it and quirked a brow before he gave her one of his own.

"Well, I will admit that I am glad I caught you anyway. I tried to call you earlier and only reached your voicemail."

She shrugged apologetically. "I leave my phone off while I am at work. I will occasionally check it if I have a few moments, but today was a bit hectic."

"I understand. I tried to reach you because I confirmed that there will be a small exclusive showing of the newest rendition of Loveless at the main theatre. I was offered tickets if you would like to attend with me. Though it won't be until the middle of February, I'm afraid."

Kris was so stunned that she couldn't respond at first. Yes, he had asked her previously, but she was under the impression that he would let things drop. The fact that not only had he confirmed he still wanted to take her but that it was extra special had her ears burning again. Plus, it was far enough out that she wasn't sure what to think. When he gave her an expectant look, she finally found her voice. "Of course, that sounds lovely." As soon as the words left her mouth, another thought occurred to her. "Although, if it is going to be an exclusive showing, is there a dress code?"

He tapped his chin with his forefinger before he finally nodded. "Yes, usually it would be a black-tie affair. I would be happy to help if you do not have anything appropriate."

Kris took a step back and struggled not to say the first thing that came to her mind. She had to take a deep breath and remind herself that he obviously did not understand how arrogant and condescending his offer sounded. Once she was a little calmer, she pinned him with a glare. "I understand that you are trying to be helpful, but please don't assume that just because I come from a poor rural town that I do not know or cannot get appropriate attire for anything. That goes for any other offer as well. I do not want or need to be a charity case." She had to snap her mouth shut to keep the rest of her irritation from coming out. She doubted that telling him to shove it if that was the only reason he had asked her out would go over well.

His eyes widened, and he tried to reach for her. She stepped back before he could touch her. He shook his head at her movement. "I apologize. It was not my intention to make you feel as though I made the offer from pity. You have proven several times over that you are more than capable of whatever you put your mind to. I only felt that it would be most expedient if I helped."

Kris was still angry, but she could tell his apology was sincere. He meant well, even if he came across as a prick. She counted to ten once more before she felt she could answer without yelling. "I appreciate the offer, but I can handle it. Just let me know when, please." The last part had been added as an afterthought. She really didn't want him to think she was going to stay angry about it. She could already feel it starting to drain away as he smiled at her.

"I will have the tickets to you within a few days if that is acceptable."

Kris gave him a confused look. "To me? You're going to give them to me?"

He looked like he was unsure of how to take her question, but he tried to answer. "I had assumed you would want yours, at least. It would allow you to keep it in mind and on your schedule, as well as allowing you the opportunity to research the venue if you would like, of course."

Kris could only stare. His offer was the last thing she expected. With it being so far out, she felt it would be awkward if things didn't work out, and she still had the ticket. He could always ask for it back, but that seemed like something he would see as beneath him. It meant that he either fully intended to still have her around in two months, or didn't care that he had wasted the money. The second option was plausible, but it was still Loveless. She doubted he would not go.

As she realized his actions stemmed from the fact that he seemed to really mean what he had told her about taking time to get to know her, she felt her face heat again, but she couldn't hold back a smile. She almost launched herself at him but paused. She wasn't sure if he would appreciate being mauled. Her voice was soft when she spoke. "Would it be alright if I gave you a hug?"

His eyebrows went up, but it only lasted a second. He gave her a soft smile and held up his arms. Kris could feel her cheeks heating again as she wrapped her arms around him. She realized how bad it could be for her health when she breathed in his spiced autumn scent and almost felt drunk. The sensation wasn't helped when he leaned down and whispered near her ear.

"You know, you do not need my permission for this. I have no intention of pushing you, but I do hope that this will be a commonplace occurrence, among other things."

Kris felt like she was going to combust. Between his breath on her ear and his words, she could have sworn she was on fire. She didn't try to speak. Instead, she just nodded with her face buried in his chest. He chuckled but didn't say anything else.

It was several moments later before she felt it was safe to step back. She couldn't look him in the eye. "Thank you for inviting me. I look forward to it. For now, I really need to get back to work. Mr. Alexandros is waiting."

She was shocked when he gently cupped her chin and turned her to face him. She felt like her heart was going to beat out of her chest at the soft look he was giving her. "Infinite in mystery is the gift of the Goddess. I am looking forward to unraveling that mystery as we continue to share our time together."

Kris suddenly felt like her bones were melting. This was precisely why she had been afraid. If he kept this up, then she wasn't sure she could remain objective. She gave herself a mental shake as she tried to come up with a response. "I-I'm looking forward to it as well." She forced her feet to take a step back and gave him another smile. "I'm sorry, but I have to go." She didn't wait for a response before she turned back to the elevator. It took all she had not to run.